Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frustrating Startup Delay with Dreamweaver MX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJoshua

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2001
US
Hi!
I was having weird problems with Dreamweaver and other applications, so reformatted my HD and installed a fresh copy of XP with all the critical updates.

After the OS, installed Dreameaver and it started up fine a number of times.

I installed more applications, testing Dreamweaver after each, and it was still fine one night.

Next day, before installing any more applications, Dreamweaver won't load. All other apps in the MX suite load fine, as does Office XP, and all my other apps.

After executing Dreamweaver, CPU goes to 100% and 50% of it, or so, is Dreamweaver trying to start up. Cannot kill the process. Turns out that if I wait long enough it finally comes up and works, but since it's still at 100% CPU all is slow. Eventually stops working. Reboot. Start the cycle over again. Sometimes it starts normally.

Used XP Restore Point to go back in time to a time when it was working fine, and that made no difference. Same problem.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have about this!

It's weird!

-=david=-

I'm sure you've checked the obvious things, but....

1. No viruses, spyware, or other unauthorized apps running.
2. No new hardware installed?
3. Sufficient space on your Windows drive?
4. Drive defragged (if you're running FAT32).
5. With nothing running, your idle time should be 1% or less - if it isn't, something unauthorized is running, maybe?
6. Eliminate any startups - just to test. Try StartupCop to do it easily (form PCMag).

Okay, now go back to a good restore point and unistall Dreamweaver. Does the machine run fine?
Just to check, remove all spyware, etc here.
Make a restore point.
Install DW.

Be certain nothing else is started. Then you can start other things one by one, to see what's the culprit that doesn't work when DW is up.

Good luck.....JP

Another thing to try is the Dreamwaever MX update to 6.1 from macromedia if you haven't already got it.

I am running XP Pro with DWMX and DWMX 2004 both installed and have not had any problems relating to start up on either application.

Dreamweaver updater can be found here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back