Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FRS Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

singamalai

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2004
US
i am getting the following error on all my three DCs in the organization. Can someone help me how do i resolve this?
The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from SERVER_B to SERVER_A for c:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name server_b.xxx.org. FRS will keep retrying.
Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name server_b.xxx.org from this computer.
[2] FRS is not running on server_b.xxx.org.
[3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the connection has been established.

thx

Silly question, have you checked to see if FRS is running on all dc's? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

hi,

first of all try the easiest remedy, stop and start the dfs and ntfrs services by dropping into DNS and typing:

net stop ntfrs

net start ntfrs

then do the same for the dfs service. Check DNS name resolution also, if u have just promoted your server to a DC replication will not occur until the server has completed a full check on ntds.dit, this can take time depending on the size of your AD.

Ensure there is enough space for the staging file, download something like frsdiag.exe, this is v handy and excellent for interogating event logs and examining the replication topology. Use NSlookup and netdiag to check for DNS pros, remember AD leverages DNS for just about everything!

hope this helps

thx for your replies. i downloaded dcdiag.exe and ran it from my workstation onto server_a and got the following. any clues??

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>dcdiag /s:server_a /c

Domain Controller Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SERVER_A
Starting test: Connectivity
SERVER_A's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an
IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
......................... SERVER_A failed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SERVER_A