Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frozen Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2004
US
Can anyone help with a frozen window issue? I know what frozen windows are and why they are there but have no clue how to fix 2m 26s one. Users are attempting to log on to a secure website and it takes 2m 26s for the SSL certificate ack then another 2m 26s and yet another frozen window for the log on box to pop up. The whole process should take seconds instead of 6 minutes.

Hi.

MAybe a little bit late. When a window frozen is reported by sniffer, there may be several reasosns:

- Server out of resources
- Server busy ( check Task Manager )
- Application with design problems.

Most of the times, the application design reserves certain memory for remote connections. And when connections is established, the window size remains the same until connection is released, instead of varying its size.

Check with the programmers to see a solution.

I've seen this MANY MANY TIMES before. If there is no congestion on any network segment, then the problem is application related.

Hope this helps.

Alex.

Also what is the window size frozen at?

If near the initial window size advertised in the TCP setup then that could indicate one thing.

Or if the window size is frozen near zero or well below the original advertised size this could be caused by other things.

Overall you are being told that the window size has not changed for a certain length of time, you probably need to observe other traffic, compare your findings and determine what is acceptable on your network.

Thanks to all for your help. The problem was with the stored procedures in SQL. The developer finally admitted defeat after all the information I provided from this thread and the sniffer capture.

Cheers to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back