Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

frontpg.lck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2003
GB
Hi,

I've lost the ability to update my website - when trying to use FP2000's Publish option I get the following message as soon as I've entered my name and password, which I'm positive is correct.

"Server error: The server extensions were unable to access the file "frontpg.lck". Please check the file permissions."

Any ideas what might have happened?

Cheers

B.M.

Here are some MS KB articles that apply to this issue:

Some of the information in these articles, you might need to pass on to the tech support for your hostinga account.

Tiffany

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Blue Monkey,

I have had this glich occur to me on a occasion. You need to do the following:

1. Open your webfolder and find the _vti_pvt folder.
2. Open the _vti_pvt folder and find the file marked: service.lck.
3. Right mouse click this file and click on Properties.
4. Ensure that the properties are marked as "archive" and *not* "read-only".
5. When finished close your webfolder and attempt to open your web as usual.
6. If the problem persists, follow steps 1 - 3 again, but this time, delete the service.lck file
7. Then close your webfolder and then attempt to open your web as usual.

This service.lck file can often corrupt (change properties) when you are copying your FP files from one disk to another, though this symptom can simply crop up once in a while too.

Hope that this helps.

The Acolyte

I've now fixed the problem. I contacted the host provider, and they seemed to think it was something wrong at their end. Given I'd been on holiday and obviously hadn't changed anything at my end, I was happy to agree!

Took a couple of days for them to resolve, but it's all working fine now.

B.M.

I also had the same problem and i used TheAcolyte (TechnicalUser)'s suggested approach.
Please try that out if you get a message like server error:cannot open flle service.lck or frontpg.lck for writing
This should work out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back