Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FrontPage2000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaport

MIS
Jan 5, 2000
US
I use FrontPage2000 to maintain a small web site (about 80) pages, and I know a little bit about HTML.
Everything goes fine until I moved the web site from an IIS to a Unix web server.
As far as I know, the unix server is case-sensitive and the FrontPage2000 and IIS are not. Therefore, although the site worked OK before, it is not working on the Unix server because many links are broken. It is so hard to fix it since the Frontpage2000 can not detact the error and I have to test every page directly on the unix server.
Is it true that Frontpage2000 does not work for Unix server? If it is true, which tool would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Seaport

Dreamweaver is the best HTML editor there is for design --

Period... Paragraph...

If you want to do any developing, I suggest InterDev, but I hear that DW UltraDev is pretty good for that, as well.

:)

Thanks, link9.

I am a novice webmaster. What do you mean "developing"? Does it mean programming beyound HTML, such as backend databse, javascripts, Java, CGI?

Seaport

Yes, that's what I meant...

Design being laying out a webpage "look and feel"

Development being programming backend "nuts and bolts"

:)

Microsoft recomment a windows based server for FrontPage as there can be problems. Although many people have their FrontPage webs hosted by Unix and say they have never had a problem. However all file and page names should be in lower case with no spaces between. If you go to (not sure whether its with the s on the end or not!) you can get for free many front page addins one being to convert names to lower case and to remove spaces. Other problems can arise with Unix, but most people dont seem to have problems. Your best bet would be to find a windows based server.

Re Dreamweaver, yes dreamweaver (editor like FP) is excellent, but not as easy to learn for beginners as FP. But when you have already paid out for FP (like I and many have) I certainly dont have the funds to pay out for another programme.

dayglo,

Thanks a lot.

What do you think about MS Interdev. It must work pretty good with Frontpage, is it?

Seaport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back