Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FrontPage vs. Dreamweaver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjonnnnn

MIS
Aug 25, 2000
US
Which is best?
Pros and Cons?

I did a tutorial with a friend today and if you really want to do a great web page use DreamWeaver. It is much more robust than Frontpage. My webpage is made with Frontpage but I am switching to Dreamweaver.
Dave [sig][/sig]

Yes, Dreameaver may make better pages. But it is not as easy to use as FrontPage.
FrontPage is great for beginners. When you've played around and want something new, check out Dreamweaver, [sig][/sig]

Dreamweaver itself also does not do database connections. I understand that Dreamweaver Ultradev does, but I haven't used it yet and if it anything like regular Dreamweaver, then Frontpage is easier to use. [sig][/sig]

DreamWeaver Ultradev does database connection but it is also $600 where FrontPage is $120 and Dreamweaver 3 is $300. If you want simplicity go with FrontPage if you want performance go for Ultradev.
Dave
[sig][/sig]

Nice church site. A little bit of java script in there and everything. How did you do the address book. Is that the one from FrontPage or did you get it from somehwhere else.
Thanks
Dave
[sig][/sig]

Thanks much.

The address book is one of those freebies I found. Where exactly I dont remember. (Its not FrontPage) [sig][/sig]

I recently downloaded Dreamweaver and went through the tutorial. I thought the tools were pretty straightforward and it is easy to click and drag your site together, but since I do not know much about coding, handlers and the like, I rely on the wizards in Frontpage. I've made it a goal to learn enough about the technical side of web design to be able to use Dreamweaver effectively. [sig][/sig]

I just attended a two-day workshop pertaining to constructing a web-based training site. They seemed to push Dreamweaver for this purpose, asserting that FrontPage didn't have the ability to construct course examinations the way that Dreamweaver does from included templates.

Does anyone else have any other experience in this area? I've been using FrontPage on our website ( over a year now.

I am marginally happy with FP for that purpose. Web-based training is a different issue altogether, and don't know if Dreamweaver is the best alternative. Someone at this seminar suggested that "Tool Book" (by Asymetrix) was the absolute best, most feature-laden program, but at a cost of about $3,000. [sig][/sig]

Hi Folks,

I just purchased MS Front Page and am in the process of learning that application. An aquaintence that does web design professionally mentioned that he uses Dreamweaver and found it better then FP. Now, I'm a novie that builds sites for my music hobby ( . I built everything up to this point using AOLPress which was OK for my purposes. Howver, I wanted to upgrade and thought FP was the way to go but wonder about shifting to Dreamweaver? Anxious to read more comments. I would also appreciate helpin finding some type of training available for FP otherwise I will just plow thru the book and trial and eror.

Get the FrontPage Bible by Reinhardt and Lentz, its great. [sig][/sig]

The FrontPage Bible is very helpful as long as you know the basics of FP. When I first started out I got the FP bible and it was a bit overwhelming. Now the FP bible is great. Forums are a great place to get information on Frontpage and other users of Frontpage. I would be happy to help anyone out. My site is, if you see anything there that you are unsure how to do, just send me an e-mail with a question.
Dave
[sig][/sig]

I am a Certified Web Developer and have done everything from
raw code in notepad to dozens of editors. If you want a simple to use product stick with FrontPage and get a quality book to help you along. If you are ready for a more robust application to create cleaner, faster loading code get Ultradev and a new good book. It takes more to learn and you want to check out new extensions people create on a regular basis as they can be a GREAT help.
I am contracting with a state goverment and still use good
ole FrontPage for much of their work (requirement).
If you are serious about web development get both and learn
how to really develop web pages.

Also a good source of information for FP2000 beginners is Front Page 2000 for Idiots from IDG books. It actually simplifies a lot of the programs more complex features as well as explaining a lot of the important features, ie, security, that Microsoft explains haphazrdly or not at all.

About Dream Weaver:

A very powerful program, steep learning curve, and expensive. I have used it and understand it well. However, I found that keeping the HTML Bible nearby, I can insert code into FP2000 pages and get just about any effect possible.

I currently am using FP '97 & '00 at work for our corporate site. 97 is very limiting but '00 has tons of great features.

However, at home my product of choice is Dream Weaver and DW Ultra Developer. Once I understood how to read/write .html I found this to be easier than writing straight code but not as confining as FP.

I think it comes down to personal preference. DW is also a bit cheaper if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps.

I have a job at a University doing some web work, they are having me use frontpage 2000 (previously i had done everything in Notepad). I find that sometimes frontpage takes the liberty to change the html for you (even if you want it not to). That is frustrating sometimes.
I have dreamweaver on my laptop, but havne't really used it much at all.
I imagine dreamweaver would be the thing to use for flash pages and neato stuff like that

It's going to depend on how involved your website is going to be. Dreamweaver although more expensive is a lot more flexible in changing templates and applying themes than in FP2000. I changed our intranet site layout yesterday, 250 pages in all. I changed the main template by adding new navigation links, a few updated graphics, and changed the copyright info at the footer and Dreamweaver did the rest. All 250 pages were changed in less than 3 minutes and all I changed was 1 page. I have yet been able to do something equivilant in FP2000. If anyone can figure out a sure-fire solution using FP2000 I'd like to know.

I work with FrontPage (mainly because I work for State government and they have chosen almost exclusively Microsoft products). I have found it easy to use and learn, but it has some quirks in it and it is not as powerful as Dreamweaver. I have heard in classes and from professional web developers that Macromedia Dreamweaver and Ultra Dev are the best on the market. Dreamweaver is also more receptive to the new technology and isn't platform specific. If you have any web dev experience at all, Dreamweaver would be my overwhelming choice...Image Ready is great for graphics, but Adobe got wise to people ordering the less expensive product, and they now bundle it with PageMaker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back