Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frontpage size issue with hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchimovitz

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2002
US
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help with this. My ISP (XO communications) is telling me that the 200 MB web page we have created using frontpage 2002 is going to keep getting broken links and not show up properly because of the size. Since 3/4's of it is the pictures from the picture gallery, I don't understand why this would happen. They also say it's because the site is on a shared server (according to them they have thousands of sites on this one server).

Does anyone know of size limitations for frontpage 2002 pages? or has anyone heard of this problem before?

Thanks in advance

It does not matter how many sites they have on there. But if they have thousands of sites - find another company that hosts less sites on a server. Most (hopefully) will host less than 500.

Do you work locally & then publish the site? When you say broken links - are you using FP navigation for this or are you creating your own hyperlinks? How often are they breaking? You are not using FTP to access the site are you?

Yes we do work locally and then upload via frontpages publish web function. The links are the navigation buttons on the left hand side and about every other week we have an issue with them not showing up. To access the site itself, we use IE but for uploading we use frontpage.

Thanks

Jared

And you are using FP to create these naviagtional buttons & not handcoding them yourself or creating them yourself? Does recalculating the hyperlinks locally & then uploading the site again fix the problem or signing onto the server thru FP & accessing the FP extensions website to recalculate the web work?

Yes we are using frontpage to create the buttons. XO has been able to fix the problems after working on them for about two weeks but we update the site almost daily. We refresh the extensions whenever we have a problem to see if that will fix it first. the website that is having the problem is at and we have it hosted on our own server at
Jared

So it works on your own server but not on XO's? Any reason why it is on XO's ? FP extensions can easily become corrupted.

I am not really familiar with any limits on the FP navigation. I usually create the links & use page inserts (SSI) - but FP can also insert pages as well. That might be better / easier for you in the long run if you have to have it on XO's server.

I didn't design the email server to host our website permanently. but I can bump it up to 8 GB of ram from the two that are in it. currently it is running on a medium to high load and I don't like that. I will play with the sub webs and inserting pages.

Thanks again

Jared

yes, lots o pictures ( i had them lower it from 450 MB

Sorry, 200 MB Web Site. I guess a 200 MB page would take a few minutes to load, eh?

Jared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back