Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frontpage extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamstorch

Technical User
Jun 16, 2000
US
I have been working on a website, and I was really psyched about it, until I started reading FP 2000 unleashed.  I started trying some of the things out, and have realized that I am a very novice user.  The book discusses many features that need frontpage server extensions installed.  What I have been doing in the past is just uploading my site to my FTP provided by my hosting company (they support FP 2000 extensions).  SO I decided go to my windows 2000 professional CD and install the Microsoft Frontpage 2000 Server Extensions.  However, I am about 95% lost on what to do from here.  I don't want to be the host of this website, I just want the server extensions to be activated in my web so I could make discussion groups, and other things that require the extensions to be installed, and then upload the files to my hosting company.  Can anyone get me on the right foot to getting my web going so i can do what i need to do.  I think i need a lot of help, so please be patient and try to be very explicit, and feel free to offer other places on the web to explain how this whole thing works

You only need server extensions installed on your own machine if you want to test before uploading your website.&nbsp;&nbsp;If your host has extensions installed then any of the things that need extensions installed will (should) work.<br><br><br>Hope this helps.

These extension-dependant features will only work if the web has been published, not FTPed. Even if the host supports FP extensions, if you upload the web files via FTP, your features, such as searches, message boards, and other extension-dependant features will not work. You must use the &quot;PUBLISH&quot; feature of FrontPage because this will publish the files via HTTP as opposed to FTP. Let us know what the sites status is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back