Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frontpage Extensions, UserDir and Apache 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexthageek

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2002
US
I am currently running an Apache 2.0 Server with php and mysql everything is running great. However the science supervisor has a frontpage website that needs to be moved to the district webserver. I hate frontpage, however I have to put it on the machine. How can I install the extensions ONLY to his UserDir which is setup and working great. I dont not want to install a root web for frontpage.

Example: I only want frontpage extensions to work for this url is this possible.

I hate all the extra folders and crap that frontpage extensions require, but I was told to get his site running on my server. And this would be a compromise, the main site would not even know frontpage extensions exisited.

Thanks in advance
Mike

I was able to figure it out.

Here is what I did:

1. Enabled UserDir (Apache)
2. Set Proper Permissions for UserDir folder
3. Created VirtualHosts one for primary site and one for supervisors site.

The files for the supervisors site are located /home/username/public_html so the user and visitors will be able to access his site via the following URL
Thanks
Mike

Hi,

Can I ask you a question real quick about the user directory? I'm having some difficulty with getting PHP to work as you can see in the thread here:

The user directory on a local machine .... I've set up Apache on my local machine with the following:

ServerRoot C:/Apache2

DocumentRoot C:/Apache2/htdocs

User Dir C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/My Website

Is that a correct setting? And .... would there possibly be permisson problems that are causing me to not be able to load PHP ... for instance
Just taking a chance that you might know ;o)

Thanks in advance.

Darla
Since 2001

Hi Darla,

I assume you are adding those values to your apache configuration file.

Your ServerRoot and DocumentRoot look good however you have a space between "User Dir" it should be one word "UserDir"
Not sure if that is just a typo here in the forum or what you actually have in your apache config file.

A couple questions regarding PHP not working.

Is the PHP Module being loaded by Apache
Code:
LoadModule php5_module C: LOCATION OF MODULE
You should also have these lines in your apache config as well.

Code:
#Specify Directory Index files and type like this
DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php

You should also has mime types like this in your config file
Code:
#Mime Types
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml
AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps

I hope this helps let me know
Mike

Hi Mike,

THANK YOU! I so appreciate your responding!

As to your question regarding the User Directory ... yep, sorry. That's a typo here. I actually have it set like this:

Code:
UserDir "My Documents/My Website"

<Directory "C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/My Website">
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch ExecCGI IncludesNoExec
    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>
    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
    </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

And I have added:
Code:
ScriptAlias /php/ "c:/php/"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
Action application/x-httpd-php "/php/php-cgi.exe"
SetEnv PHPRC "C:/php"
# configure the path to php.ini
PHPIniDir "C:/php/"

to httpd.conf. At your advice I added the .phtml and the php-source lines. Thanks. But I'm still having the problem.

I can load phpmyadmin and log in just fine! The only thing I CAN'T do is view test.php or php files individually which I really don't understand since phpmyadmin is written in php.

And .... I can't develop in PHP since the files won't load.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm overlooking I just have NO idea what?

Thanks again.

Darla
Since 2001

Hi Again,

I just looked at my Apache error log and see these errors repeating:
Code:
[Wed Jun 01 17:18:23 2005] [notice] Child 1516: Child process is exiting
Failed to start up concurrent users module!
[client 127.0.0.1] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function:  phpphpinfo() in C:\\Apache2\\htdocs\\phpinfo.php on line 1
[client 127.0.0.1] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function:  phpphpinfo() in C:\\Apache2\\htdocs\\test.php on line 1
[Wed Jun 01 17:26:05 2005] [notice] Parent: Received restart signal -- Restarting the server.
[Wed Jun 01 17:26:05 2005] [notice] Child 2688: Exit event signaled. Child process is ending.
[Wed Jun 01 17:26:05 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) PHP/5.0.4 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Wed Jun 01 17:26:06 2005] [notice] Server built: Apr 16 2005 14:25:31
[Wed Jun 01 17:26:06 2005] [notice] Parent: Created child process 1016
PHP Fatal error:  Unable to view file mapping in Unknown on line 0

One more question .... I see many references to file usr/local/etc .... but don't have that on my pc ... or know where it's at? Should I? Or is it documents and settings/administrator/local settings/application data?

CORNFUSED ;o)

Thanks!

Darla
Since 2001

Darla,

I am going to look into the server errors that apache is giving you.

Regarding the references to '/usr/local/etc' those are unix/linux directories and will not be on your machine

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back