Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FrontPage Data Result to Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JefB

Programmer
Dec 29, 2000
I use FP2K to display data results from our SQL databases.

I would like my users to be able to put this data into an Excel spreadsheet (so they can do their own manipulation and reporting).

If I try a "copy and paste" from the web page to the spreadsheet, all we get is "FrontPage Components".

Is there a setting in either Frontpage or Internet Explorer (or even Excel) that would allow the data to be copied without the components?

JefB

In IE go to File - Save As and type a file name followed by .xls. For example page1.xls.

This should save it on the users PC as an Excel doc.

I still end up with the same problem: No data in the cells; just "FrontPage Components".

JefB

You can insert the following code at the top of your page. This will automatically open the page in Excel. What you may want to do is copy your page and insert this into the copy. Then add a link on your regular page that says "Open in Excel", which links to the copy with the below code.

<%
Response.ContentType = &quot;application/vnd.ms-excel&quot;
%>

I have tried using that code (along with: <%Response.Buffer = True%>, <%Response.Clear%> and ending with <%Response.End%>)

All I get is the spreadsheet with the &quot;FrontPage Components&quot;; no data.

I suspect that our system (SQL2K running on NT4) is missing a setting or something. Our Excel is the 2000 version.

I cannot locate any documentation that would at least let me know if we have the minimal configuration needed to accomplish this. Very frustrating.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

JefB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back