Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frontpage Created Website Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexbel

Technical User
Jun 27, 2004
US
Hi,

I have created a frames website using Frontpage. I have uploaded it to the server.

Here's my problem:

Some people, when they try to view the website, see the text and the graphics scattered all over the place and the images are stretched. Others can see the website fine!

What might be causing this?

Thank you

Are the problems related to Netscape/Mozilla Browsers?
I found this:

My site is a mess in Netscape, what should I do?
The most likely cause if this is that you designed your site using FrontPage absolute positioning. FrontPage 2000 absolute positioning does not work in Netscape browsers. You will have to rebuild your pages using tables to get your desired layout in Netscape.

Located at the Fontpage FAQs here:

M

What might be causing this???? FrontPage is causing it.

The simple fact that FrontPage is not compliant, is the problem. It uses its own bloated way of handling tags. It is not WW3 compliant, and unless every one who sees your page uses IE, then there will always, always, always, be someone who can not see it correctly.

Unless viewed with IE, ALL pages created with FrontPage (unless they are very simple) will have problems in other browsers. And not just Mozilla browsers. Opera as well.

Gerry

ManicMark,
I tried using tables but that did not fix the problem!:(

fumei,
What program would you recommend I use then?

Thank you

It depends on how complicated your site is. If you want it to be fully compliant, so that everyone can see it - perhaps it will not look all the same, but they can see it, then use a straight HTML editor.

The fact of the matter is that all web pages pages, all of them, are text files. Browsers parse through the text file and infer what the tags mean. Unfortunately that is how browsers work. They infer meaning. It is not like a word processor where text characteristics have direct meaning. Most browsers when they come across tags that they do not understand, they ignore them. "What the heck is THAT? = forget it.

Because web pages are, in fact, text files, they can be created, and edited, in any text editor. Most early web pages were done in NotePad. Heck I still write in NotePad, but then I do everything as straight WW3 compliant pages. Nothing fancy.

Fancy CAN be done obviously, but the cost is that, as you have discovered is some people can not view things properly.

Even the simple factor of screen resolution can be difficult, because of absolute positioning.

Solution?

1. Have a number of browsers, and always test in all of them.

2. Get a straight forward HTML editor. There are a number of them. My personal fav is 1st Page 2000. It is free ( http:\\ has very good file management, three levels of interface depending on your skill levels. It writes clean code, with no bloat. You will have to learn to understand what is actually going on, but this is a good thing.

3. You will need a FTP app to upload. One of the nice things about FrontPage, and I think, the main reason people like it, is that the upload process is integrated. If you write short clean HTML, they you do have to take care of uploading the files. It is not difficult.

4. You will still have to understand and clearly use tables.

Lastly, do not use Word! It is even worse than FrontPage.

It really depends on your needs and how well you do your design.

Gerry

You asked which program you should use. The one that I would recommend is called HTML kit. it is relativly cheap and it works wonders. I have been using it for some time now and i find that i am never disappointed. It works for frames, html, css, js files just to name a few.

To get this program just do a search on google and purchase the file. when I purchased the kit i think i paid about 35 or so US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back