Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

frontpage cannot find the web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lshippee

Technical User
Jul 19, 2000
US
I've decided to switch to a new host site. When I publish using the IP address provided by the provider, frontpage gives the following message when it gets to the point of processing web updates:

could not find a web server at xx.xxx.xxx.xxx on port 80.

I've pinged the IP address provided and it is live; I've checked my settings and all is as it should be; I've called the host provider and they've checked and find everything set as it should be -- we're all mystified.

I started getting this same message during publishing with the current host; however, it has not prevented the publishing from be completed as it is doing with the new address.

Anyone see this before? [sig][/sig]

Can you browse to it?

Can you publish to it with FTP client?

boxplan [sig][/sig]

I can browse to the default homepage the provider has posted at the provided IP site, but my site is not yet uploaded because of this problem.

I am using frontpage components and need extensions -- need to use HTTP as far as I know. [sig][/sig]

While ultimately you want the capabilities of the FrontPage components, publishing a simple page using a FTP client will determine if it's an issue with your FrontPage upload or with the ISP. (Or possibly both!)

Are you familiar with CuteFTP or WSFTP? Either of these are easy to use and are readily available as downloads. [sig][/sig]

Good idea. I have WSFTP and used it prior to going with Frontpage. [sig][/sig]

YES WE HAVE RECEIVED THE SAME ERROR. ARE SOLUTION WAS SHUTTING THE COMPUTER OFF AND THEN TRYING TO PUBLISH AGAIN THIS SEEMS TO WORK. [sig][/sig]

This has not worked for me. The problem has persisted for numerous days and in spite of numerous shut downs. It is a puzzle! [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back