Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frontpage 2K, Tools - Security (greyed out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDWinter

MIS
Jan 28, 2000
US
I'm trying to set secuity on a Frontpage 2000 Intranet web page, but the Tools/Security option is not available (greyed out). Does anybody have any idea why?<br>
<br>
JDWinter

This option is greyed out because security administration is done on the web server. You need to enable manual security administration. If you have the server extensions installed, then you should find under the web properties, a FrontPage tab. Uncheck the box, &quot;don't inherit sercurity settings&quot; then check the box &quot;Manual administraton&quot;. Make sure &quot;Authoring&quot; is enabled. I'm assuming you have IIS? I might not have some of the wording correct, but it will get you there. Do you have Front page installed on the web server? If you do, open Front page and go to the security option and see if it is available.<br>
<br>
Let me know if this helps, if not then I have some other ideas.<br>
<br>
Tool

Tool,<br>
<br>
Yes, I am using IIS.<br>
<br>
I found the &quot;Manual Adminstration&quot; setting and selected the check box. I was not able to find the &quot;Authoring&quot; check box. There is a box for &quot;Log authoring actions&quot; which is selected, and a box of &quot;Require SSL for Authoring&quot; which is not selected.<br>
<br>
Tools/Security is still greyed out.<br>
<br>
Thanks for the help,<br>
<br>
JDWinter

Do you have FrontPage installed on the server? You might need to go to the Root web. Find the Server name in the left pane of the IMC. Right click on this and go to properties. <br>
<br>
Change the inherit properties to the manual setting. After appling this change, it should prompt you to apply to all the sub web sites. You might want to only apply this change to the web you are trying to work on.<br>
<br>
Have you figured out how to use the FrontPage HTML administration forms. The forms will enable the authoring option.<br>
<br>
I had the same problem before.<br>
<br>
Let me know if this works<br>
<br>
Tool

I am having the same problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have checked the option to manage permissions manually and un-checked <i>Don't inherit security settings</i> in both the FrontPage Extension and IIS consoles.&nbsp;&nbsp;I could not find an <i>Inherit Properties</i> option or anything of that nature in FrontPage itself.&nbsp;&nbsp;The properties for my web in FP show only the General tab.&nbsp;&nbsp;Lastly, I have not yet delved into the Front Page Administration forms.&nbsp;&nbsp;How do these differ from the IIS console options?<br><br>Thank you for your help.<br>ACB

acb,<br>What I have found is that when I install frontpage on the server itself and follow the steps above, the sercurity option becomes available.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then, set the permissions for each Aurthor.<br><br>FrontPage Admin forms can be used remotely, that's the major difference.&nbsp;&nbsp;They need to be configure in order to operate successfully<br><br>Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back