Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frontend for MySQL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteacher

Technical User
Jul 5, 2006
US
I need suggestions about using Access to connect to my MySQL database. Does every user have to have Access loaded on their machine to access the database or can I install Access on the server and allow all users to access it?

I work for a school and we have almost no budget for the database I am trying to create so I am looking for cost effect solutions. I am trying to create the forms needed in OpenOffice.org but I feel more comfortable using Access. Is there any other solutions for creating forms that is close to Access that would be cheap?

Hello,

To answer your questions:

All users will need a full copy of Access or a runtime copy to use a database (freely distributable if you have an Office Developer license) on their PC.

Another option here is to write the application in a language such as Visual Basic and compile it which can be installed on each PC needed.
Express editions of Microsoft .NET tools are freely downloadable from the MS web site, but check their license terms and conditions.

If you have a terminal services type environment (eg Remote Desktop or Citrix), then installing one copy on the server and letting different users to access it is a possible solution. However, please be aware that you still need to respect the terms and conditions of both your Access and server licenses.

You can't run Access on a PC from a server share without installing parts locally (a network install).

Depending on how you feel, it may be possible to operate the system as a web based application, so all the users need is a web browser on their PC.
You can then use technologies such as ASP or PHP to connect to the database from the web server for most people - or Access for people with more demanding needs (for example, use the web version for reporting only but input via Access forms, reduces the number of Access licenses needed).

You may want to ask in the forums here relating to other tools/technologies for more in depth advice in those areas.

John

As far as I know, you cant use Access front end with MySQL back end. It works only with SQL server. I got this answer from a MySQL forum.

ADP's are built to only use SQL Server.
If you use ADO from an MDB file with a MySQL connection string and install the MyODBC driver, then its possible. I've got a few apps here that do this.

John

Before you jump in with both feet, do reconsider all your expertise in both MySQL and Access or whatever client you may use.
Think of compatibility issues. Did you know that you MUST have a primary key AND a timestamp field to have a table updatable? Did you know that a bigint field would show #Deleted in the Access application? If not, you should reconsider the solution to what you know, otherwise a 'no-cost' solution will turn into your worst nightmare.

HTH

[pipe]
Daniel Vlas
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back