Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FrontEnd BackEnd Set-Up - How does it work? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanosm

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
GB
Hi all,

This is a follow on from thread181-843073.

I have been reading up on splitting a DB into FE/BE set-up, but I have a few queries, as I am not totally sure I know what I'm doing....

(I have numbered the steps/queries to make it easy for wonderful people to help me!)

(1) To practically implement this, I need to take my A97 DB and split it using the Database Splitter. This will create my back-end database. (I'll be splitting a copy of the original DB for safety's sake!)

(2)Then I need to open this BE file and delete everything EXCEPT for the tables in this file(?)

(3)Then I need to open the original (copy) DB that I split, and delete all the tables from it.

(4)Then I have to link the FE to the BE. (How do I do this?)

(5) Once I have linked the FE to the BE, I need to place a copy of the linked FE on all the individual computers that will be using the DB. (To do this, do I physically copy the FE file, and place a copy on all the hard drives of all the machines?)

(6) How does splitting the DB affect all my user permissions I have assigned already?

(7) I have been reading faq181-90 and faq181-91 about making an MDE file, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Does the MDE file then become my FE? Do I need to delete the tables from the MDE file?

(8) I have some users on A97 and others on A2k. Now, to ensure that everyone can use the DB, I need to create another FE for the A2k users. Do I copy the FE for the A97 users, rename it, then open it in A2k as Administrator and convert/compile it? Then distribute this A2k version to the A2k users?

(9) As I have more than one DB, I also have different Workgroup Information Files for each DB. I have a shortcut for each DB that references the relevant WIF. When the FE/BE split is complete, and I have copied the FE to each computer, do I then have to create a new shortcut to the FE that is on the local machine?

OK, I think that’s all my queries. For now.

All help will be REALLY appreciated.

Hanif

Oops, forgot one...

(10) What do I do when I want to make changes to the the forms/reports/queries etc? Which file do I modify? Common sense says copy the original FE file, make changes, delete all old FE's on local machines and replace with copy of modified one. Is this correct?

Thanks

Firstly you do 1 OR 2and3

The database splitter utility will do it for you as you say in point 1 but I've always found the utility cumbersome for such a simple task

Archive a copy as you suggest.
Then make a copy and call it XxxxBE.mdb
Rename the original XxxxFE.mdb

Then do step 2 on XxxxBE.mdb
and do step 3 on XxxxFE.mdb

Then while you are in XxxxFE select File menu, Get External Data, Link Table
In the dialog box navigate to the XxxxBE.mdb and select it.
You'll then see all of the tables that are in the BE
select the ones that you need ( all of them ? ) and click on Okay.
Thats step 4 done.

5 - Yes

6 - If you have used the standard Access security model you'll be fine.
Remember in future you apply table permissions to the BE and other permissions to the FE

7 once you've made your FE in the set 3 above it won't have and tables in it ( but it will be LINKED )
you can convert the FE to an XxxxFE.mde if you want to.

8 Make sure the A97 FE is fully compiles before you do all that - then go ahead.

9 WHY on earth do you need multiple Security.mdw files ?
But in answer to your question - Yes

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS
spsinkNOJUNK@yahoo.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

10 you keep a development version of the FE and make edits / updates in there.

Then copy new FE to users macines ith will overwrite the old one ( don't need to faff about deleting first. )

I have a tblSetup in all of my BE's that contains one record - varions default settings etc. one of these fields it the FE version number.

Then in the FE the first thing you do on startup is look at the tblSetup.VersionNo and do an auto closedown if the FE is out of date.
This stops people keeping secret copies of your FE and using that afteryou have released a new one
(This is handy if the update is to plug a security leak of other similar issue )

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS
spsinkNOJUNK@yahoo.co.uk

Oh YES and in step 4 .. ..
Make sure that you search for the FE by going the 'long way round' Ie. Network Neighbourhood, Server, Path, File

do not use Mapped Letter paths unless you can absolutly guarantee that ALL users have their machines mapped to bexactly the same letters.

G LS
spsinkNOJUNK@yahoo.co.uk

Unless I missed it, the very first step would be to back up your database.

Then, ensure you backup the back end on a daily basis. I may not get a star for this trivial point, but you will save yourself a tremendous headache by keeping backups current, and befor any major update.

Next, perhaps once a week, you should run the Compact and Repair utilities.

If you invoke security, make sure you have a backup before this step and you keep a current and original copies of the system MDW file.

As per MDE, I believe the accepted step for added security, etc. is to convert only the front end to an MDE file. (Users can not edit forms, import / export, etc. But MDE requires proper error handling -- otherwise an error will crash the program.

LittleSmudge,

HUGE THANKS!!!

That's cleared everything up for me (obviously!). With regards to the multiple security files, I have more than one becuase I didn't know what I was doing – see thread181-816022.

I started off just creating one simple contacts database. Then I had to make a Human Resources DB and so on…. They’re nothing major, and I’m no expert, but I’m learning.

Wouldn’t have been able to get anything done without this website and people like you. Thanks again.

I’ll post back here if I get stuck!

Willir,

Thanks for your post as well. I think it’s an important one, and it deserves a star too. It is helpful to me, after all!

HANIF

We all had to start somewhere Hanif

and I doubt here are many active members around here that haven't had to learn the value of Willir's advice the hard way !!!

To misquote an old Irish political saying .. ..
"Save early, save often".

G LS
spsinkNOJUNK@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back