Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front USB ports not working.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petzl

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
AU
Hi,

I have a new PC running XP, HAF932 case, GAEP45-DS4P MOBO.

Card reader USB and back USB ports work (back ports show F, G, H and J mappings).

USB is enabled in BIOS.

BIOS is as per the system bought last week.

I have not updated device drivers.

I ran driveragent and it shows an unknown device. Device Mgr in Windows does not show an unknown device.

No hubs being used except, I assume the front ports built into the case.

Thanks for the help!

Petzl

Are the front ports definitely plugged into the motherboard?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Hi Grenage,

There are 2 USB sockets on the Motherboard. Cardreader USB is working fine on either socket.

Hi Petzl,

So while the rear ones are working, the front USB ports are not. If the Cardreader is working ok, it's obviously plugged in, but are the USB ports? Or are the USB ports and card reader one unit with one cable?

Russell.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Cardreader is separate from the Front USB ports and has a separate cable plugged into the second USB socket on the mobo.

Ok, so the front USB ports aren't currently plugged into the motherboard?

Sorry.....both are plugged into the mobo.

Excellent,

It might be worth trying updated motherboard drivers, I'd look at that first.

Russell.

Cable issue, cheap cables can cause this (these are found in cheap cases)... Good cables are usually shielded and not single strands...

reasoning (logically): Front USB Card Reader works on both mainboard USB Connectors, but front USB ports do not...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Interesting...I will look at drivers for Mobo first. Coolermaster made the case and hence the cables.......shield as well I think so I would not have expected problems BadBigBen but you never know.

I did have an unkown hardware message initially but ignored whilst setting up other bits and pieces. How would I determine the hardware for this device in the Hardware manager?

Thanks guys.

Easiest way is to open the case, look at the motherboard model number, go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers for it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back