Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front Page Navigation Structure Disappears 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg1

Technical User
Aug 13, 2001
GB
I have had this problem on more than one occasion. The navigation buttons disappear and the left column says "edit navigation properties to display navigation structure here". I do just that and right click navigation structure, telling it what buttons I want "Child level, home page etc) but it ignores me.

Having finally managed to reinstall the program I seem to have the navigation structure back, but cant publish it due to the <web server busy> error message mentioned in my other query!

Mike Grantham
MG Associates

I have seen this happen many times also, If a site is moved to a different server or if FrontPage is reinstalled in particular. When right click (as you describe above and say it ignores you) I believe it is because you are not in the right place to fix the problem.

When this happens (as I've seen it anyway) it is because the &quot;diagram&quot; shown in the Navigational View has vanished. This is where you have to go to fix it. Drag all of your pages back to where they should be in that diagram and it will be fixed.

I've been looking for a way to keep from losing the navigation for about 4 years. Haven't found one yet.

bunni.com

If you're referring to the &quot;shared borders&quot; feature, this crap happened to me too. I learned a couple of things:

1st: Make a page of a back up just of your shared border by copy and paste (so you'll have it if it 'disappears')

2nd: When you're adding a new page, take an old page that already has the shared borders in it and choose &quot;Save As,&quot; to what ever your new page will be. You'll then have two pages (the old and the new). You can then go into &quot;shared borders&quot; and change it to &quot;current page,&quot; and turn off the shared border for that particular page, which won't affect the shared borders on the other pages. However, here's where I've messed up about three times now...you can't create a new page that doesn't have shared borders already in it, and expect to edit the shared borders for that page so that it's the same as your other pages. If you do, you'll erase all the old shared areas because it thinks you're applying your new page's &quot;blank&quot; border to the other pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back