Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front end tools to access MS Analysis Server cubes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2000
US
Hello.

I currently have a small data warehouse on Windows 2k/SQL 2k.
I am using Business Object's BusinessQuery MD (formerly OLAP@WORK)
This tool has been a maintenance nightmare and I need to find alternatives.

Here is the question:

Are there any other tools that will allow access to MS Analysis Server cubes?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Proclarity. We are about to use the same product set.
DataWarehouse of Oracle 8.
SQL2000 OLAP tools for the datamarts/cubes
Win2k Server to run on.
Also offers thin client access as well as full / rich client.
Integrates with outlook,excel and others.

It appears to beat all the other presentation tools for our purposes hands down.

Previously use Business Objects. But this has turned out to be too cumbersome for our needs.

If you can wait a bit, you can request an eval copy from proclarity. It comes snail mail in about a week.

Anybody use/know anything about the Crystal Reports for OLAP tool?

Crystal Analysis? Brand new product for viewing MS SQL analysis server OLAP and distributing via the Crystal Enterprise web tool. I will be recieving a copy very soon to evaluate it.

In the meantime, I endorse the comments on ProClarity! Icytrue

icytrue@hotmail.com

Our warehouse is in the planning stage ,We will be using HP-UX unix and oracle 9i.Our intial projection for 3 yrs is 1.2 TB .
I need help evaluating the ETL tools .Are oracle 9i's features for ETL good enough ,to eliminate spending on any other ETL tools.

Thanks.

Few questions: Why & how do you plan to use Oracle for a terabyte sized warehouse? Do you plan to have more than 5-10 simultaneous users? Aren't you concerned about growth limitations & bottlenecks? I didn't know Oracle scaled to those limits - can you advise on how you made the decision towards Oracle? Thanks..
ETL: How often do you plan to load data? Monthly, weekly, daily, hourly, continuous?

Can someone offer an opinion on using Cognos tools
Impromptu or PowerPlay for accessing MS Analysis Services Cubes on the SQL Server ?

Alternativelly could someone comment on the advantages/dis-advantages of using Analysis Services Cubes vs. Cognos 'PowerCubes'

Try building an ASP solution on SQL Server 2K. Its a very cheap way of building an OLAP reporting architecture on SQL Server 2K and you can all the facilities of changing the dimensions, drill down, etc.

You can also use the Pivot tables in Excel 2000 as a front end. If price is not an issue try Cognos, Business Objects, Crystal Info.

Is web access important? or are you building custom clients? I have worked with a tool called alphablox before for doing custom web front-ends. You might check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back