Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

from win98, i can´t access a win2000 machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i have 3 pc in a point to point network..

2 have win98
1 have win2000

i can access from win2000 the another 2 pc that have win98,
but, when i try to access the win2000 pc, from win98, i get a message that prompt for authentication or user password...

in the win2000 pc, i share 1 directory for full access, but, i can´t get the access from win98 pc...

where have to go...

where i can configurate the access, for any user from any pc, can access the win2000 pc...

thank´s for any help....

Check the folder permissions for the shared folder. It sounds like you have set up a password for the folder. You could always try removing the share and then sharing it out again. Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

And remember if it doesn't work just flush it down the toilet. [Flush]

Check the FAQ's

faq616-800

Ed Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

Windows 2000 doesn't password-protect shares - what you are being prompted for is a username and password to log on to the share.
Check the local user accounts set up for the w2k machine. If one or more has access permissions to the share, you should be able to access the share from the w98 machines as long as you enter a username and password that match one of the local user accounts on the w2k machine.
Of course, if you log on to the win98 machine using a username and password that match one on the w2k machine, you should get on without being prompted...

Hope this helps.

I have the same problem with a network running win98 clients. Have checked all the obvious. One station did connect but the others don't. I checked and re-checked accounts, passwords, and ms client settings, but no go.

If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. I tried everything.

You need to establish local user id's on the Win2000 machine.

Do this by Start > Setting > Control Panel > Users and Passwords (this can be the same as the network id/password of different). Other security can also be establish like restricted or power users.

Then go to the "shared" folder and grant permissions under the "security" tab. You can choose "everyone" or specific users.

Enabling the guest account on win2k, will let your 98 boxes in, as long as you have drives or folders shared, and your Win2k is not formatted in NTSF "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back