Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FROM TERMINAL TO EXCEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volkmaniac

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
US
Has anyone successfully written a script that grabs information off the terminal screen and places it into an Excel spreadsheet? I'd like to use rget to save numbers into strings and then I'd like to poke those numbers into Excel. Most of the examples I've seen have been from a text file to Excel but I'd like the screen to Excel.

The process should be the same for the most part, other than using rget to get the proper value into the string. Or you could use the snapshot command to save the current screen to a file or use a capture file to get the data into a text file and use one of the examples from my site (hankm3 has a sample that saves data to a capture file, reads and parses it, then pokes it into Excel).

aspect@aspectscripting.com

Knob,

I took some portions from the monitor script, which is a great script, and I just successfully poked one number into Excel. I finally realized that I needed to declare the string that I grab off the terminal as a global variable.

Thanks.

you can also use 'termgets' to capture characters at specific positions on the screen and poke it to excel.
I've been using this technique to get a 'somewhat real time display' on circuits utilization (idle/busy) on several DX200 systems.

How do I know how many rows or lines there are?

If you were using the termgets command as the previous poster mentioned, you would only want to do so if the remote system automatically updated the display in Procomm and the data was always in the same location. If that row and line location never changed, then you could always use that value in your script.

aspect@aspectscripting.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back