Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

from a sun-ultra1 how can i access the cisco-routers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raviccie

Technical User
Aug 4, 2002
US
Hi folks...
I have an (old!) sun-ultra1 that i am trying to use in my home network. I have a set of cisco routers and i access them using the hyper-terminal...
my quewstion is how do i do the same things... accessing the cisco routers.. from the sun machine...

any suggestions...
thanks

Ravi

hey thanks buddy!
that was so simple... it solved my problem in a snap!!

now i have to figure out how i can assign my sun ultra to a separate VLAN on my cat2924 switch and make it a tftp server

do you have any support in this direction!

thanks

Ravi
*Ravi

success is not an end point..but the journey..so make every moment of the life happy and successful...by doing what you like to do..

tftp should be installed by default.

You should find a line in your /etc/inet/inetd.conf that looks like:

Code:
#tftp   dgram   udp6    wait    root    /usr/sbin/in.tftpd      in.tftpd -s /tftpboot

I don't recall if it is commented by default or not. If so, uncomment and hup inetd.

Wrappers are recommended of course... --
Andy

sorry ...i don't get this... (i am not very familiar with core unix...)

uncomment and hup inetd.

Wrappers are recommended of course...
--

yes, i did find the file and the tftp related line in that file. and using vi
i edited the file ...and basically removed the comment

now what do i do..."hup inetd".....?????

also don't know what they are saying in that file by
this..." after making changes to this file...sent it to the...forgot where now.." can u help me to read and undetstand that file too!! thanks a million for this
help
*Ravi

success is not an end point..but the journey..so make every moment of the life happy and successful...by doing what you like to do..

Dude, you gotta buy a book or something.

Code:
ps -ef | grep inetd

root   172     1  0 11:27:57 ?        0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd -s

172 is the pid.

Code:
kill -HUP 172

The inetd.conf file is a list of all the services to which inetd responds. Unless you specifically need the service, you can pretty much comment everything out.

Here is an example to quickly see which lines are NOT commented out:

Code:
(202)[aharriso@mail] [/export] # grep '^[^#]' /etc/inetd.conf
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/sbin/tcpd    /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
(203)[aharriso@mail] [/export] #

As you can see, I comment everything except telnet, which I have wrapped and only allow from a local private network.

tcp wrappers can be obtained from sunfreeware.org and contain installation instructions within. After installation, you can simply use my example line above in your inetd.conf.

tcp wrappers rely on a couple of files, /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny. In the deny file, I just have:

Code:
ALL: ALL: DENY

In the allow file, I have lines like:

Code:
sshd,in.telnetd: 127.0.0.1 : ALLOW
sshd,in.telnetd: 192.168.0. : ALLOW
--
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor