Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frog-like Croak in speaker Assosiated with Belkin G+ WLAN card

Status
Not open for further replies.

12345dave

Technical User
Mar 18, 2007
GB
Hi
I have just installed a new Belkin F5D7011 WLAN card(no "uk" at the end of the model no). It is version 2001yy.

It connects to my Belkin router F5D7633-4,which is set to WEP and client listed MAC codes only filtering. I run XP Home SP3 with all standard Msoft updates, with Avast 5 with all updates, Windows Firewall set off.

Although the router is a few years old, I have only just started to use it. I did a hard reset on it and then set up the router manually.

My hardware is HP Notebook N5261. Intel PIII 256K RAM.

As soon as I push in the G Plus card into the slot, the PC speaker emits a "croak" noise! Then, as far as I can see, it the emitts this sound each time the card starts a 'send; every 45 seconds, but more often at times. It only started to do this when I installed the Belkin Network Monitor program, fom the disk that came with the Card; ref P74487ea-A. The PC "croaks" (left speaker only,when actioning things from the program. If I pull out the card the sound stops.Before this point I was using the Windows utility, without the problem. The PC makes this noise a couple of seconds after the card is pushed into the slot, before a connection to the router is achieved.

I do not run System Restore.I did not backup the system before installing the card because I did not think that it was a big change, unfortunately!

It is not the disk drive making the noise.

It does it with the volume turned off, until I disable the sound card an ESS Allegro PCI Audio according to Device Manager.

So far I have replaced the Card driver listed in Device Manager, under Networking adaptors, by uninstalling it and then used the windows utility to search for the best driver. This has not solved the problem. I have not yet looked at the Sound 'devices' which are Audio Codecs, ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM), Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Meddia Control Devices, and, Video Codecs. I thought I should consult first.

I have scanned with Avast5 and MS Malicious Software Removal tool, in Safe Mode, but both utilities report no problem. I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks for reading all this!

Have you looked for updates to all device drivers? What about an update to the application that seems to be related to the problem? All else fails, uninstall the program, and go back to using the windows utility.

Thanks rc

Do you mean all drivers on the notebook, or just the card drivers associated with the Belkin card and sound card? So far I have just replaced the Belkin card driver.

I will now replace the sound card driver(s).

Yes I have returned to the windows utility.

A new event is that this morning on boot Avast detected a suspicious file newmail[1].wav, which I have deleted.

The irritating sound is still there.

My area of computing is not at the system level....so I am grateful for any advice re the registry entries too. Should I be looking to delete, or check for any entries that may appear to be redundant etc?

Cheers

the bracketed 1 in the file name means that there are other instances of this .wav file on your system. Play that file with media player. did it make the sound you are hearing? if so, find all instances by searching for newmail*.wav and should find them all,and delete them. And yes, I meant all the drivers on the system. Including chipset drivers. Sometimes a new driver for one device can impact how another device behaves.

Thanks for that. Will report back!
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back