Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FRL evaluation between SM and CM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlapine

MIS
Dec 10, 2003
US
It seems that everything I thought I knew about COR's and FRL's is wrong!

Here's my setup:
I'm installing a new Aura solution comprised of CM with ISDN trunking for local and LD calls. I have a pair of Session Managers connected to CM via SIP trunk. SM is supporting a third-party iPhone based SIP application that requires access to off-net trunks via CM.
SIP endpoint FRL = 5
SM-to-CM trunk FRL = 2
CM ISDN PSTN trunk FRL = 3
Route Pattern FRL for LD calls = 3

Here's my confusion:
Local calls from SIP endpoints completed as expected. LD calls from the same devices received a denial indicating they were blocked due to inadequate FRL (denial event 1343 in CM list trace and traceSM). After much head-scratching I changed the FRL of the SM-to-CM trunk from 2 to 3 and placed a successful LD call.

Here are my two questions:
1. Why does CM seem to evaluate the FRL of the SM-to-CM trunk when making PSTN routing decisions instead of the FRL of the endpoint?
2. How do I restrict SIP endpoints if the FRL of the endpoint COR is irrelevant in PSTN routing decisions?

Thanks in advance for the input and ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back