Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

friend got something that removed everything or hid it???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
Windows Xp Pro
When I log in there are no desktop icons, no folders in C: no programs, nothing in the start menu. The recycle bin is on the desktop. Even opening a command prompt doing dir shows nothing. Its not even like a new computer where you can see and do things this shows absolutely nothing anywhere?????
This is for both the Administrator account and hers.
But yet the computer runs so everything is there but just hidden or I don't know what?
After I copied malware bytes to the root of c it shows the .exe file. malware bytes won't run has no permission to do something.
Mic Secur Ess ran and found something I cleaned it but still nothing after a reboot.

but the Mic Secur Ess folder does not show after it installed. Crazy like nothing I have ever seen. The C drive has everything since it shows 1/2 full if you right click Properties. Also I managed to open Add Remove Programs and all of the programs are in there.
I ran msconfig and shut off everything at start up but still no go.
She said she got something that came up and wanted her to buy? Which she did not.
I looked at permissions in the folders and they ere shut off. all permissions were unchecked. rechecking them did nothing.

Any ideas? Beside reformat?

DougP

Nice gift! We as a World-wide society need to figure and end to this malware mess.
Or there was a girl and she gave him a Virus, the "she" above is 40+ and married with kids :(
Anyway, I got the laptop out of the deal and reformatted it. then put Win 7 Pro on it and it runs great. I guess it must have come with Vista, someone must not have liked Vista a while back and Put XP on it? The Xp drivers where there in a folder after the Parallel install so I used them. But after the full reformat of course they were gone. I put Xp back on it but there were no audio, Video or Network drivers on Hp's WEB site so it was useless.
then I thought "MAYBE" if there were all of the Vista drivers on the WEB site it might work with Win 7. and it does; everything works great, love it. I have never owned a Win 7 machine til now so I need to learn it.

lah lah lah

That's all folks; thanks again!!!!

DougP

Had the virus check malware on a kid's machine. Was more like 8 hands on hours to rework some registry keys, a couple of mbam runs, a couple of antivirus runs, spybot s&d scan, and ad-aware scan.

They can be ugly. Took advantage of the laptop being available for several days to dig into the details.

The last 2 were nuke and pave reloads because I didn't have the luxury of getting educated.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back