Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Friend asked me to help with the fo

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlton1

Technical User
Sep 26, 2001
GB
Friend asked me to help with the format of his computer. At this time I know nothing about the computer itself, other than it has a 20GB HDD. When I first looked at it (using FDisk) it said that most of it was NTFS and 195meg was FAT 32. Using Fdisk I deleted both partitions and created 1 partition, then reformatted (after restart). Installed XP but it says unable to find an operating system installed. Not much to go on yet I know (not had much time to stay with it) Anyone got anyidea's from the little I have described?
After the format was complete everything seemed okay, but when XP put in to install, it said that the disc operating system was unknown, and reformatted it (under XP setup) using FAT32. Still unable to find an operating system though?????

Are you using a legitimate XP CD? Some OEM versions will only install on OEM machines.

Just realized you are in the wrong forum. You should post this question in the Microsoft: Windows XP forum. Just hit the browse forums and you'll find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back