Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fresh install of win 2k pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

T3chGuy

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
CA
Hey everyone,

I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 2000 pro on my PC. When I first booted everything was great but then after a while the computer starts getting weird. The two main things I noticed are 1. after a while I cannot check my mail at hotmail. I type in the address and normally it would redirect to a login page but it doesn't do that. It loads a page and then says done, but never gets to the login page. I also tried to get in through Messenger wouldn't let me open my mail either! All other sites I have visited work fine so it seems like a service or something isn't working properly? 2. Control Panel gets messed up the same time the internet explorer problem starts. The scroll bar gets dumped in the middle of the GUI window and then the icons load on the left and a big empty space on the right. Some of the programs in there work ok and some don't. For instance the add/remove program window will open but there are serious errors in it. The close button for example no longer reads close it reads clo&se.

Now all that said I reboot the system and everything is running fine and dandy again back at 100% Has anyone experienced similar? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Check to make sure you don't have a parasite. Check this by pointing your web browser at
This web site will run a check on your browser for parasite discovery and report its findings on the browser page. I would recommend anyone that is experiencing odd behaviour in their web browser to visit this site.

Parasites are a little-discussed problem and anti-virus software tends not to discover them.

I discovered this web site after a PC I was doing some work on refused to load the default web address in IE6 and instead loaded a web page the user hadn't requested or wanted to visit.

You have firewall?
If so, its possible that the page you try to enter send you some cokies and the firewall don't let them pass.

Have you put on all the latest security patches from Microsoft?

If not, sounds like one of the common viruses spreading around (like 'blaster'). Check \winnt\system32 for msblast.exe. If it's there, you'll need to run an anti-virus program to get rid of it.

You can get 'Stinger' from McAfee.com for free.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back