Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FREQUENT SYSTEM HANGS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deke99

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
US
I added a new E-Machines computer to my SBS network. It came with XP Home edition installed which will not interface with my network. ( XP Pro will but I dont have that)
I also have three workstations that have WindowsME installed and no problems. I reformatted the hard drive and installed WindowsMe from the OEM CD's, and got the correct drivers from Intel for the chipset and graphics ( at least I think it is right)
Machine hangs badly at intermittant times nothing repeating
The company will not support me because of the change.
Does anyone have any information at all as to any other hardware that may be incompatible with WindowsMe but was compatible with XP Home ?
When I remove the Intel graphice drivers everything runs fine but the screen is almost unreadable using the standard VGA drivers so the problem must be in that area somewhere.
Anyone have any hints about this problem ?
Thank you in advance for the help. The Dekeman

Is it possible for you to restore it back to how it was under "warranty" and then contact E-Machines for help? Most networking problems with XP and 9x systems get solved eventually. There are even some "work arounds" for XP home and networking.

If you are sticking with ME then check with the correct Windows Update site from that machine (if it is running). This will give you some idea of what updates this machine needs.

When you installed your current Intel Graphics Controller did you follow the instructions to remove the old graphics controller and load the Standard VGA drivers before you install the new Graphic Controller over the vga's? I assume if you don't do it that way you end up with a mis-match of old and new driver files.

Software might also cause problems as it might have been written for XP and not for ME. Virus Scanning and Firewall software come to mind.

Hardware for a XP computer needs XP drivers to run properly in most cases. As you have loaded ME it would probably require the reloading of drivers from an installation CD applicable to the hardware device.

After spending hours fighting this machine the option of buying a XP Pro CD will begin to sound good.

First of all, it is my opinion that Windows M.E. is a big piece of crap. We here have about 95 computers on a network and have nothing but trouble with any M.E. computer. My advice is to format and install Windows 98se, it is very network compatible, with a whole lot less problems than M.E.

Example: Ever try to right click on a network printer through Win M.E.?
Not gonna happen.

linney,
Yes have tried most of what you suggested. I think I did the Intel drivers right. Pretty sure I got all of the ME drivers either downloaded or from the OEM CD,s on my other machines. Luckily I do have an extra machine and have been using that until deciding what to do . YES XP Pro is looking better and better.
Thanks again The Dekeman

Hey dad,still having problems I see. Here is a thought I think that you should be running the same o/s on your office systems it might help with networking them. Make sure you have the right driver for your video card, and you might try flashing the BIOS on the card.talk to you soon Wristen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back