Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequent interruption of internet browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataraj48

Technical User
Mar 29, 2002
US
I get one of the following messages when web browsing within 7-9 minutes of logging on to my ISP.
"Internet Explorer cannot display the web page"
"The Server at is taking too long to respond"
This happens when I try to navigate to a different page on the web site (hangs for a long time).
It also suggests that I might be disconnected from the ISP which is ridiculous as the two computer icons and the timer for the service are active (bottom rhs of the screen).
I have tried different initialization strings for the modem which is almost 3 years old. Ther are no updates available for the modem.
Any useful solutions out there?
Thank you.

I would have to say you have some form of line noise. That will cause your error. not knowing what you have done and the modem info there is not much to go on for giving you advice

When was the last time you cleaned out your Temporary Internet Files and ran Disk Cleanup?

Which version of IE are you using?

What type of modems are you talking about?
What type of internet service do you have?
What other kinds of programs do you have running?

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

This mentions some Auto Disconnect or Power Saving settings.

XP Pro shares become unavailable
thread779-872537

What if anything is showing up in the Event Viewer?

There may be an instance where your phone connection(landline) has options.. i found that call waiting, call answer and call forwarding can contribute to this lost connection problem...usually a beep or something...also, if you do a lot of reading online(scrolling with mousewheel while reading would time you out)...you may want to disable the idle time when inactivity...my 2cents...hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back