Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequent freezing and stuttering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richginge

IS-IT--Management
Dec 24, 2004
GB
I have just yesterday upgraded my pc. Builing it myself, I compiled a MSI K8N Neo2 nForce3, AMD 64 3500, 1024mb PC3200 DUAL RAM, SATA 80gb hd.

I have flashed bios to newest so it is able to bootup from the sata drive which was my first problem.

Now, my computer freqently freezes in games and in windows. Yesterday it froze 50% more than today however and playing games was just unplayable. Now, after doing nothing it freezes less but still freezes for a few seconds now andn then (around 20-30 secs duration when it freezes).

I have tried setting the RAM mhz speed to 200 and Tx2 so 400mhz for PC320o (ddr400) but same problem. (did this in bios)

Also while in games, I have flashes of white or some colour every so often around the edges of my screen (like my desktop is seeping through when you get an msn msg and you click the game and it pulls you to the desktop) ... I have a Geforce 4 ti4600 (agp 4x setting, on a mobo that can support agp 8x). I tried the newest Forceware drivers from (72.xx i think) then i tried older versions with the same problem. I did NOT have this problem with my old mobo and I was using the same GFX.. I have only upgraded my RAM/MOBO/CPU/-addition sata hd- .

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Windows XP Sp2
Geforce 4 ti4600 (67.03 driver)
Direct X 9.0c
MSI K8N neo2 Platinium nForce3 mobo
AMD 64 3500+
1024 DUAL pc3200 (ddr400) RAM
IDE 40gb HD
SATA 80gb hd *windows and boot drive*
ADSL 512kb

I have reformated Windows Numerous times, and also tried installing on both HD's therefore It aint them or the windows installation.

I install the chipset as the first driver installation after windows is installed ..

I thought nForce3 chipset was supposed to be good, can someone fill me in the the bad side of this chipset as I have no heard of these yet :(

So the problem does not rely with my GFX card, but the nForce 3 Chipset !?

What shall I google for, Nforce3 chipset problems ?

Quite hard to look for things on Dial up that is at 9.6kb connection (about 1kb/s) :(

Sorry I forgot to add I am using 32-bit Professional version :)

Tried a few google searches and not found much relevant.

Hi there,

sorry, but you didn't mention the problem about your slow connection to the internet... well, here are just two sites I've found that might help or give you some insights, check them out...

archive/index.php/t-30919.html

... as it seems, it is XP (better said the lack of DX9) that is causing your problems...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Problem not found there that i have .. mines video problem.

My internet works fine, it is just my ADSL modem blew up during a thunder-storm (power zerg I guess) .. all else is fine tho. Also I was having video problems PRIOR to the thunderstorm, so that aint cause of it.

Its either gfx or bios .

I have updated bios to a new modded version that has new unhidden options .. None of these fixed it.

I guess, you did not read it carefully enough...

the first post on PCPITSTOP talks about not only RAID, I/O probs... but mentions also VIDEO PROB... I would follow the Install suggestion posted there...

or try lowering your FSB for a test...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Dont work, from another forum i found out it probably my power supply ..

So i ordered a new 480w with 12v rail 28a :)
Also a Geforce 6600 GT :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back