Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequency of Backups?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmolinho

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
GB
Are there any conventions regarding how often to schedule transaction log backups based on db activity within a particular period? or any other technique for making an educated decision ?

I'd be really grateful for any help here!

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I guess it depends on how many transactions will be going on in a set period of time.

how many concurrent users do you have?
how important is the data?

Thanks for replying Nowell,

There are approx. 50 concurrent users of the front end app and the data is v.v.important to us.

I was hoping that there woul be some kind of general rule along the lines of 'schedule a backup every "X" number of transactions' ??

In that case log ship every ten minutes, therefore miminmising your losses.

The rule of thumb is how much data can you afford to lose?

Let's say you do transaction log (tl) backups every hour. At 1PM a tl backup is done, but at 145PM the database crashes and you can't do anything (can't get another tl backup). You can only restore what you've backed up. So, that means you can restore the data up to 1PM and have lost 45 minutes worth of data.

Is that acceptable? Can you afford to lose more/less?

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back