Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequency based cleaning in NetBackup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmgaines

Technical User
Jan 27, 2004
US
Any solutions for Frequency Based cleaning in a shared drive environment ? My goal is to automate drive cleanings via NB 4.5 if possible. Hardware = ADIC Scalar 1000 w/8 LTO drives. Thanks for any help.

What OS are you using?

If *nix you can create a cron job and adding the tpclean command to it.

Most hardware manufacturers recommend that you allow the drives to auto clean - i.e. They clean when needed. Especially LTO drives. You will have to check the configuration of the hardware but there should be an option to allow auto clean using a specific slot in the library for a cleaning cartridge.

Unix is the OS.
This hardware vendor (ADIC) recommends the cleaning been done via the software.

I do appreciate your responses. Thank You.

When you set up the drive, in the Veritas NB GUI, you can specify the cleaning frequency and as long as you have a cleaning tape available, the drive will be cleaned after that number of hours - We currently have our DLT's etc set to 50 hours and it works like a charm.

Hardware based cleaning is the Veritas supported cleaning method for a SAN so I am trying to use that even though I won't have the SAN for another month. I have a Compaq ESL9326SL robot with SDLT drives which should support tape alerts talking to the media manager. However, I don't see any information on Veritas' site that tells me what I should do to get it to work. Under Devices > Drives all of the drives show tape alert not enabled. Can someone help??

PGPhantom - Are you sharing drives between host ? Veritas advises frequency based cleaning doesn't work in a shared drive environment. That's the issue I'm trying to get around. Thanks, Kevin

If *nix you can create a cron job and adding the tpclean command to it.

No - we are not sharing drives. Too many problems associated with that, at least in my experience. Comtec17 is right though - Just run a cron job to force the cleaning on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back