Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freezing problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i'm on a 850 mhz athlon abit kt7a motherboard with 196 megs of ram....and the cpu temp unloaded at 115 degrees F...and 125 degrees F with games. During games my comp always freezes! freezes are caused my cpu over heating right? Because my cpu has never gone anything higher than 129. can anyone help?

Your temp seems OK, freezing can have many causes, both hardware and software. as it is only happening during games, which tend to be resource intensive, I would suggest faulty RAM or graphics card.

I would look at programs being launched during startup. I had the same problem as you, and it was caused by a HP program being launched when I start Win. You might as well try troubleshooting which programs at the start are safe to run. You can use the DirectX program to manage what is started.

(DirecX 8)

It's usually found here:
%ROOT%\Program Files\DirectX\Setup\ - DxDiag.
Open it, click on the "More Help" tab on the top right.
Then select "MSInfo" (new window pops open), "Tools" -> then "System Configuration Utility".
Click the "Startup" tab on the top right.

Now you have a list of all the programs being started during your boot.
Unselect them all, reboot, then play your game. See if it freezes again. If it doesn't then go back to the DirectX "Startup" and select two at a time, reboot, and run your game.

alright i'm gonna try that...i will get back to you on that, thanks

just to be more detailed....i have a ge-force gts 32 meg and the freezes happen very randomly....sometimes after 5 mins the game freezes, but sometimes it takes about an hour and a half for the game to freeze. any more suggestions? oh yeah and diablo 2 the game seems to be the game that loves to freeze the most for some reason.

Hey having a real hot video card can cause the computer to freeze to right?

SheldonC writes:
"%ROOT%\Program Files\DirectX\Setup\ - DxDiag.
Open it, click on the "More Help" tab on the top right.
Then select "MSInfo"

A simpler way to open "Microsoft System Information" (MSINFO32.EXE) is to click "Start > Run" type "MSINFO32" click "OK".

On my PC its also under "Programs > Accessories > System Tools"

I have exactly the same problem but on a k7m(asus) mobo and an nvidia tnt2 m64. I thought it was heat but my system never crashes in Linux and I leave it on for days at a time. This problem seems to affect a lot of people and I've noticed that they all have an Athlon system (usually an ASUS mobo) runing an nvidia chipset. Is there some sort of conflict? I've tried just about everything. Nothing fixes the problem.

p.s. please excuse my spelling - I'm from Switzerland.

Under PC Hardware - General Discussion FAQ, I wrote an article under system maintenance, letter "b". It is entitled "Why does my computer freeze...?". Read it, it may be helpful to you.

I have found that by reducing my hardware acceleration in device manager - Performance - Graphics has eliminated freezups with no noticable effect on game performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back