Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

freezing panes

Status
Not open for further replies.

willhyde

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
GB
Hi all,

Is it possible to freeze more than 2*2 panes in Excel (97)? For example, I want to be able to see Columns A and B on the left at all times, and columns X and Y on the right at all times, while being able to scroll left and right through columns C-W in between (and freezing Row 1 at the top at the same time).

Is this possible?

sorry but AFAIK - nope

Rgds, Geoff
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
Want the best answers to your questions ? - then read me baby one more time - faq222-2244

...but, gotta agree with Geoff. I just experimented with it and made something ugly, but not what you want.

You can open a new window (Menu: Window/New Window) and then arrange them vertically (Menu: Window/Arrange.../Vertical), but alas they won't stay synchronized as you scroll up and down.

If you don't mind having to do vertical scrolls in each window separately, you can come close to what you are asking for.

Yeah but Zathras.....really.....what would be the point ;-)???
Personally, if something like this is needed, I would change the layout of the data. Would it not be possible to put whatever is in X & Y into C & D and then freeze from D - the user then gets to see the same static data whilst scrolling about....

Rgds, Geoff
Want the best answers to your questions ? - then read me baby one more time - faq222-2244

xlbo - that's what I've been doing, it's more for aesthetic reasons while inputting data, just wondered if it was possible.

Cheers for the suggestions though.

Geoff, you are absolutely correct of course. I was assuming that the reason for the question in the first place was that the data layout couldn't be changed.

I'm guessing that willhyde's columns X and Y are row totals and/or running totals of some kind so it makes sense to keep them on the right, but it would be desirable to be able to see them while entering monthly data in the middle somewhere.

Historical note: If I remember correctly, in the old Lotus 1-2-3 days you could set up both a synchronized split-screen and set up fixed columns in the same window, exactly what is wanted here. Too bad Micro$oft didn't include that capability.

Z - only messin' - I assumed exactly the same :)

Rgds, Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back