Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freezing on Shutdown 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jengo

Programmer
Apr 17, 2000
US
I work at a place with out 500 pcs and we can't figure out why a bunch of them won't shutdown at the end of the day. When you attempt to shutdown, it freezes on the "Waiting for windows to shutdown" (whatever it says). The computers are Win95 on a WinNT network. Any suggestions?

Jengo,

Check out the FAQ in this fourm, I know I've said for WIN98 machines, but it will work just as well on a WIN95 machine.

You will just need to create the shutdown shortcut!!!

Paul

how do u recreate the shutdown shortcut?

and usually if they wont shut down something is running. or there is a ms patch on their website for shutdown problems.

X-)

There a number of inexpensive, even free (like Bust-It), programs you can download, and which list all operations that are running AND give you the chance to turn and of them off, as you wish.

Just be sure you know what you are doing. Good luck. :)

Art

If you are using mapped drives in Win98SE their is a patch to solve this problem. That's the common solution I have seen for that problem.

Im having this problem myself. Iv tried the rundll.exe shortcut but all it does is reboot the machine. It never shuts it down. my shortcut says:
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 1
all this does is reboot the machine.
What is wrong?
Thanks

rthomas5,

You need to create a shortcut with the following line, the one you have reboots the machine, this one will shut it down.

"c:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows"

Your Welcome.

Jengo,

You appear to have answered your inital question.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back