Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freezing/Creeping PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxS87xX

Technical User
May 29, 2003
CZ
This may seem like a small problem to all you guys, but all help is appreciated.

My computer is acting up. It is going slow ( i will click on something and 2 minutes later it will open up ).
I ran the disk defragmenter, disk clean up, and I deleted any unneeded stuff, didnt help.
My computer has 256 RAM and 40gb HD, with 37gb left. Am I forgetting something?

Thanks

Sean

Its a windows 2000 box. It was installed about a year ago give or take. I checked the virtual memory settings and they are set to 384 and a maximum of 768mb, but I didn't change anything.

Thanks for the help
Sean

Do you have any virus protection software? If not you may want to go out to it will take you to trends site there you can do a free online scan. I don't know if it will help but you never know.

Dear Sean, Hope this helps - Windows uses your free space on your hard drive as "virtual memory". In other words as an extension of your RAM memory. But if your hard drive is already full or severly fragmented the pieces of free space Windows uses as "Virtual Memory" are few and far between. I have tried disabling Virtual Memory and restarting - then run defrag-then go back to letting Windows manage my Virtual Memory and restart again. Have you looked at what is running at start up?? - could be using up precious RAM for stuff running in the background. In Win98 its start-programs-accessories-system tools-system information-go to tools-system config utility then "start up" tab - you can turn on or off start-up items there.It is possible you have mixed memory at different bus speeds or even bad memory. Have you tried any new or different memory? I didn't believe it either till I found my computer running faster with less RAM because the speeds were different and it all ran at the slowest speed and then again when I found bad memory.My personal preference though is to OVERKILL on the RAM memory. I had a friend solve all his problems running these exotic (RAM eating) games by going from 256MB RAM to 3 times that much. Computer used to lock up or start game and then go back to start screen. Not now - no problems for last 6 months.

You may also want to download and run SpyBot and remove all spyware. It can rob your system of resources and cause flaky performance problems.

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back