Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freezing Computer Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonothanE

Technical User
Jan 10, 2006
US
recently my computer just started to freeze randomly, however i noticed it happened a lot when i was downloading something or had multiple web browser/MSN messenger or other windows open. -I've deleted all previous files and reinstalled the opperating system which didnt seem to help, - Removed my ram chips (2 512 chips) and checked to see if either was faulty, removing either one did no good, - and checked the CPU's temperature which remains at about 42 degress c. If anyone has any sujestions/expierance with something simmilar to this please let me know.

Thanks,

If it happens during network activity,then it could be a problem with your network card.

You say you deleted previous files and reinstalled the OS. Did you format and start clean? If not, then just reinstalling won't clean up spyware/adware, which could be part of the problem.

Also, if it's a hardware issue, it could possibly be the power supply. It's hard to say until you've isolated the issue more. If you haven't tried it already, format the hard drive and start all over (you could also use a spare hard drive for this). After installing the OS, don't connect to a network, and don't install any 3rd-party apps. See if the problem persists...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I believe i formated and started clean, and I did several anti-virus scans, including the one provided above, I don't seem to have any problems from their results. I've been told it might be a issue with the hard drive? I'll try with a new power supply and see if i get any results.

thanks, and if anyone has any more sujestions please let me know

what OS are you using?

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Did you give the mainboard a look? Try to see if it has bloated capacitors.

First, determine if it's a hardware or software problem.

Use something like PC Troubleshooter or such software, that boots off of a floppy and tests your system, outside of the OS.

If you find that your system still freezes up, or fails one of the tests (for example, a memory test that's been running over and over), then you've got a hardware problem.

If the burn-in tests run (for a few hours), then you don't have a hardware problem, and it's time to troubleshoot the software.

Just my $0.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

I'm using Windows XP Home edition (SP 1 Included) and so far I've Checked each Ram Stick seperately, Tried a new hard drive, checked the temperature, used a new Network card and a different video card none of thoes seem to solve the problem, Its somewhat hard to try running ani virus's or other programs as I can't download anything or run programs/tests without it freezing but i'll try. I also called someone who said it was a opperating system problem, but I have no idea why something would go wrong with the OS randomly and then have the same problem after multiple re-installments of it. Thanks for all the help, if anyone has anymore ideas please post it here.

Did you give the mainboard a look? Try to see if it has bloated capacitors.
I second seanform's suggestion. If any of the capacitors tops are not completely flat(bloated and rounded at top) then it can cause your PC to freeze. This problem is not unique to any particular brand of computer as this site will explain.
Hope that helps.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

after looking at the caps some of them (not all) are indeed bloated. Does anyone know if its worth; trying to fix on my own? pay someone to do? or just buy a new motherboard alltogether?

Jonothan,

It is really easy to put new caps on the board. HP has a machine called the VLI8 that does this all the time. I have replaced tens and thousands of the caps and it is that simple. Just take them off the board and look at the part number and you will be suprised that you can get most of them locally at Radio Shack or even you local electronics store.

Jay

Is it still under warranty? Even if its not it might be worth attempting to contact the manufacturer because if it has bloated caps they were defective when the board was assembled.

To answer your question with a question. How good are your soldering skills? It's not very difficult to remove and replace caps on a mb if your decent at soldering. You will have to do some research to ensure you get the correct replacement caps.

I would strongly suggest contacting the manufacturer and trying to resolve through them before attempting any home repair.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

thanks, I think i'll contact the manufacturer, I dont want to solder and create more problems then i currently have lol, to all, thanks for the help

Another thing to try while you wait to swap out the motherboard...

I would remove all components, leaving only the motherboard, CPU, RAM, video card, and hard drive. Re-seat everything including the IDE or SATA cable for your hard drive.

If you have an IDE cable, make sure the hard drive is set as master, and that it is connected to the end of the cable (not the middle connector). Also, I would reset the BIOS back to its default settings.

A key thing I wanted to mention again was the clean installation of Windows. You said you "might" have done it that way before, but you overlooked the importance of not installing any 3rd-party applications. After a fresh install, only add drivers and testing utilities that you absolutely have to have. Then if your PC still has issues, you can be fairly confident that it's not software related.

A description of what happens when it freezes up, or a pattern of what seems to cause it would also help...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back