Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freeze 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

1quickdraw

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
This is the first time I have experienced this with Win XP pro / SP2. All of a suuden for no apparent reason, the computer just hangs. It freezes and will not respond to ANYTHING except to reset or turn it off with the power switch. I had recently installed thomas bro map program and Nero 6 with updates. After the problem appeared I uninstalled both pieces of software but the problem is still there. Sometimes after a short time, sometimes after hours. No rhyme of reason I can find. No viruses detected.

At my wits end. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

was curious that quickdraw mentioned chkdsk wouldnt run. i have found in the past that bad sectors on drive often causes the freezing. perhaps the asapi errors are related to a certain corrupted file on the HD.

you can always yank the drive, put it as a slave in a different pc, and run the full chkdsk w/"check for bad sectors" option.

does event viewer post any errors related to the disk at all?

Bill, I will run that program you suggested but first Let me tell you what seemed to be the problem. You clued in on it when you advised me to go to Nero and run their clean uninstall program. Apparently all the installs and uninstalls I did would not clean everything up. After reunning Nero's general clean program, found here it did the trick. I beleive it may have helped the ASAPI problem as well. After running the clean program, it also checked the registry and made repairs although I am not certain exactly what it repaired. ANYWAY, and here is the good news, because my new DVD burner needs a copy program to function properly, I took a chance on re-insatlling the NERO 6 program. After initial install, she froze, however after downloading and installing the updates from Nero, she seems to be running smooth as silk again. I believe the incomptibility problem was stuck in the registry until Nero Clean Uninstall repaired it. Something I don't understand though is I had installed the uodates before as well but it did not help. I went from uninstalling Nero 5 and install nero 6. ANYWAY everything is working fine now.

Maybe this will help someone else with the same Nero problem. This only seems to be an issue with XP Pro. I have Nero 6 on my laptop and have had no problems with it, it has XP Home O/S.

I just wanted to let you know once again, how much I appreciate all you do for all of us NIMRODS who sometimes can't get the clues.
I will recontact here after running the above fixb.bat program.

Steve

Bill,
All that batch file did was start up and when it was finished said "Finished. Try re-installing SP2." ???
Of course I did not need or want to re-install SP2 so I didn't.

Anyway, thanks again.

If your ever in my part of California, I owe ya one, no two, no three ...... Make it about 10.

See ya,

Steve

Steve,
The batch file was intended for a specific SP2 install problem: where ESENT database errors were being thrown. I told you I was bothered by:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 101
Source: ESENT
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: STOP_ID

Explanation
The extensible storage engine database engine stopped.

This should rebuild the security database and prevent the error. Every little bit helps in the situation of freezes without thrown error messages.

O.K. Well I appreciate it. I am not as well versed in some of these issues, obviously, I guess as I should be. But I'm workin on it.

Also Jimp56, I did NOT say chkdsk wouldn't run,"quickdraw mentioned chkdsk wouldnt run". I said "I did the chkdsk /r and apparently no problems were found". But thanks for the input.

Thanks again,

Steve

Turns out I should have ran chdsk on my slave (E) drive as this was infact the problem. It was a brand new maxtor 60 gig and after running chkdsk on it there were bad blocks. I downloaded the powermax 4.09 software from Maxtor website and it found the problem and fixed it. Thanks Xavier2 and jimp56 for cluing in on it. Cbmudd, download the updates from Nero. Nero 6 has known compatibility problems with XP pro.

Thanks again to all who helped. Hope this helps others.

1QD

Thanks for the feedback.
A good reminder of seemingly unrelated issues effecting an entire system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back