Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubbersoul

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2003
CA
Just installed RedHat 8.0 andeverything is fine except after a minute or 2 into the GUI I lock up...I can't use either my keyboard or mouse...I have no clue what is causing this and would like to resolve this as I can't get any work done....any ideas?

I have the same problem using a Radeon 7500 with XFree86 4.3.0. The problem goes away when I obtain development drivers.

Development drivers are available at dri.sf.net. These drivers work well but are unable to use a virtual size of 1600x1200 in combination with a Dell P990 monitor. I haven't tried it with any other monitors.

Alternative development drivers are available at gatos.sf.net. These drivers work for virtual sizes of 1600x1200 and lower but do not seem to provide the higher resolutions that are available to the stock drivers.

Detailed documentation at

Ok I've now noticed soething weird but prob. causing part of te prob. I have my Ethernet card set to enable automatically on startup.....it never does thogh...I have to manually enable it...and it's only after I enable it and pop on the web for a bit will it freeze...otherwise...If I don't go near the 'net I'm cool...no freezing?????

For $65/hr. I'll be happy to drop by and install your Linux system properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back