Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

freeze to death... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nosferatu

Programmer
Jun 9, 2000
RO
Hello...

I have this mind boggling problem with my desktop... It just freezes... to death... nothing moves anymore... the mouse is stuck to the screen and the keyboard light-less.

I have absolutely no idea what is causing this, as no new hardware has been added and the boot memory test (512 MB) is passed with success...

Nothing in the logs, nothing, just pure cold, and it seems to be happening randomly.

Does anybody has any clue about this?
Any help is much appreciated! [red]Nosferatu[/red]
We are what we eat...
There's no such thing as free meal...
once stated: methane@personal.ro

Hi,

You dont mention if you have an up to date Virus Checker?? If not may be worth checking!!

Is it random or does it happen when you open a prog?
Do you get Internet Explorer windows pop-up when you access the net when they shouldn't?

Kind Regards, Paul Benn

**** Never Giveup, keep trying, the answer is out there!!! ****

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I do have an AV, that's FSecure, but I don't think it is a virus related problem.
This happens on a fresh-installed win2000 Proffesional.

The problem ocurs at random times but I do believe that usually happens when my email client (eudora) is downloading email... The thing is that, before getting onto win2000 proffesional I was trying my luck with a borrowed win2000 server and there was the first time such a thing happened. The other thing is that after a while, the problem started to occur more rarely and, in the end, stopped for good (After 1 month or so).

So this just beats the sh#@$ out of me!
I am downloading the SP3 to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again. [red]Nosferatu[/red]
We are what we eat...

Hi,

I did have a similar problem once with the indexing service Running and IIS running. I ended up turning both of and it was fine?

Kind Regards, Paul Benn

**** Never Giveup, keep trying, the answer is out there!!! ****

hi!, i just recovered from screen freezing which i believe was caused by a mouse problem. please look at my submitted question" screen lockup WIN2000 related to mouse? . i edited the registry, removed the mouse driver, rebooted, & VOILA ..
before my screen could not be unlocked without a reset..
maybe this will at least give you another idea to think about..
good luck,
jennifer :)

Well Jennifer... Thanks a bunch.

I do have an optical mouse myself, but it's a Stupi-Mouse from Atech. Heck, whatever, it's optical.
The problems did appear mostly on mouse move indeed - even if sometimes, as the computer was idle, the same thing happened.

I've installed the mouse drivers and the whole thing started again. But only for a while. Yesterday, the greatest achievement of all time just happened: the computer did not froze for 12 straight hours! WOW!
Duh... Anyway, this is just the behavior I got last time: after a while, things got into normal.

This is really, really weird. But, thanks for helping! (and the star is yours!).

Regards,
--Razvan
P.S.I did examined Dr-Watson and what I seen there in the backtrace was a call to
ZwReplyWaitReceivePortEx
function, which I am sure it is causing the problems... [red]Nosferatu[/red]
We are what we eat...

I'm having similar problems with my desktop. I've got an optical mouse, but I don't think that is the problem as I've had it for awhile and the problem didn't exist earlier. I don't know what triggered the problem, but I have to frequently reboot the machine as it freezes randomly.

I have anti virus software, NOrton 2000, but I'm not sure if that could be casuing the problem.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back