Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

freeware or shareware

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickske80

Programmer
Aug 2, 2003
BE
hellow,

I have created some simple programs that I would like to share for free with other users.

Now, I find the words freeware and shareware all around the net, and I can 't seem to find a difference between the meaning of these terms.

Is ther a difference between freeware and shareware?
And are there other kinds of wares?

thanx for replying.

>And are there other kinds of wares?

How about Underware?

[lol]Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Just go to google.com and do a exact phrase search on:

"difference between shareware and freeware"
Or
"difference between freeware and shareware"

And you find explainations in all sorts of forms.

Shareware usually asks for a donation, but sometimes doesn't require it.

Freeware has a bad stigma for being loaded with spyware and other nasty things the user probably didn't want.

But then, Winamp is free. So are some of the best AV programs. And I've found several graphics viewers and miscellaneous editors on the web that were free without strings attached.

-----
The death of dogma is the birth of reason.

Shareware started back in the late 80's. Back then freeware used to be called "public domain" software. Shareware came about when people wanted to distribute programs but not sell them in stores. So, usually the programmer offered the program for a price and reaped the rewards of people registering the program--tax free. Since it wasn't/isn't considered a legitimate business it's considered an exchange of money for a service, which isn't taxable. A lot of the bigger shareware software packages do charge tax, but that's because they are actually a company.

I don't think freeware can be classified in the same category as spyware or adware, because most freeware is just that--free with no strings attached. Then you have people that write software to make money off of ads and spyware---so they get money even if you don't register the software.

There's no chr$(27)!

Shareware is more often than not a version of distribution where the user can download the program and try it for a period of time, and after that they have to buy it. There are variations on this, but that's the most common that I've seen.

Freeware is as the name suggests, free. This doesn't always mean open source though.

Chr$(27) is the escape key.

cgfiend,
I don't know which country you're in, but try telling the UK taxman <Since it wasn't/isn't considered a legitimate business it's considered an exchange of money for a service, which isn't taxable. >

Exchange of money for a service is business and income from it is certainly taxable in the UK. I'll be fairly surprised if a service industry income isn't taxable in most countries!

'People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.'

&quot;I don't think freeware can be classified in the same category as spyware or adware....&quot;

True, but many freeware packages do include spyware and adware. Shockwave is one of the worst.

Peruse any comment section at a freeware download site and you'll be amazed at how many of them get the thumbs down treatment treatment because of the hidden &quot;gifts that keep on giving.&quot;

That said, Winamp is free and it's one of the few things that keep me sane these days....

-----
The death of dogma is the birth of reason.

Shockwave? As in macromedia? Flash?

I don't remember ever seeing anything about spyware in that, and I have a little trouble believing it since it's a huge company like that.

(I could be wrong)

Other &quot;wares&quot; are trialware: Like my description of shareware

Commentware: Freeware, but comes with a request to tell the programmer what you think.

Some freeware comes with a option to donate, but otherwise acts like freeware (Donationware?) :p

AdWare is a program that contains spyware, and it tells you up front. That's the price you pay if you want to use it.

You might want to check out the original ASP - Association of Shareware Professionals --
They've been around since the modem-based BBS days. They originally got set up to promote higher-quality software, and have evolved into a trade association.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back