Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freecell game hangs and displays q= in the title bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jund

Instructor
Feb 13, 2001
US
Who would ask about a game? Normally, I would not ask about Freecell... but, after I installed the new IEX 6.0 (that is the only time reference I have, Freecell no longer works). I don't really care, but it is really upsetting my wife! And, if you are married, you will really understand why I came to the forum with this question.

PROBLEM: Freecell game hangs and displays q= in the title bar.

DETAILS:

System: Win98SE, IEX 6

Symptoms:
When the game is started, the title bar does not say Freecell. It says q= .

When I move the mouse across the "table" the hourglass is busy.

In Options>Statistics, it reports 40,000 or more games lost.

I have performed the following:
1. Uninstalled and Reinstalled the game (3 times)from the Win98 CD
2. Sytem File Check
3. Deleted all related files including the data in the registry and then reinstalled the game once more.

If I start the game and do a CTRL+ALT+DEL is shows that the program q= is running. If I do a search on q= , nothing is found.

Thank you for reading this question... and if you have an answer, my wife would surely appreciate it. (And so would our marriage counselor -- smile -- )

Thank you,
John Underwood

check video driver freecell is a program does fun thing to video that why a lot of people test video with it So long and thanks for all the fish.

My guess is the updated MSVCRT from ie6, but I can't swear to that.

Get your wife hooked on Kyodai mahjongg instead :)

try booting up in safe mode ( hold down F8 on startup). does it work in there ? If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

I had a similar problem once and it was a corrupt "cards.dll" file. I don't see how installing IE6 would have had anything to do with it, but stranger things have happened. You may also want to check for a virus!! Every day above ground is a GOOD DAY!!!

I recently upgraded from IE4 to IE6 and my Freecell quit working. I could select a new game but when I tried to play it all I had was the hourglass.

I called Microsoft support and was told to try the following:

Select START
Select RUN
Type msconfig and select OK
On The System Configuration Utility screen select Startup.
Scroll down the list looking for a name in the right hand margin that ends with "point32.exe"
In the left hand margin (mine has a label of POINTER), uncheck the box.
Click OK
Restart your PC.

After I did this my Freecell game worked normally.
I don't know what POINTER is, but the MS Support person thought it might have something to do with the mouse. My mouse still works. Good Luck.

Had this same problem with a customer. If you have Logitech Mouseware 9.75, uninstall it and install 9.73 (Windows 95 version from Logitech's download site) and Freecell will work.

PaT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back