Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

freebsd v rh9...will use for hosting/game servers...opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spewn

Programmer
May 7, 2001

a friend told me that freebsd is harder to modify, since it has chains of command to go through, or a higher scrutiny than rh9, so it's more secure.

i heard most large companies use fbsd, although i don't know why.

in either case, i will be using plesk control panel. but i will need to learn command line.

the situation is the server i am getting comes with rh9...going from what my friend says, i should have fbsd on it...so i was gonna install remotely...but i don't know if that's crazy to do, so i came to the question of should i stick with rh9...

geez.

anyway, hope your insight and experiences can help.

i am learning this from ground up. luckily, i know nothing about unix, so i have no bias...i will get the server and reverse engineer.

also looking a book for the flavor you suggest. thank you.

- g

FreeBSD is better than Linux. RH is the worst Linux distro of them all. OpenBSD is better than FreeBSD. *Ohh, wait! That's just my opinion*!

I don't know plesk and I don't know if you can automate the install of FreeBSD.

How remote do you want to install it?

Cheers

i can't physically access the server, so i suppose i'll be using a ssh client for remote. hope that's what you were asking.

plesk is just the control panel (gui i guess) for server administration...

- g

If you can't physically access the server, I don't think you will be able to reinstall the operating system at all.

//Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back