Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FREE TABLE ALWAYS CORRUPTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

remsor

Programmer
Nov 5, 2002
PH
Hi, anybody can help me...

I have POS program with more than 10 users..
my problem is my free tables always corrupt..
this table is used temporarily in storing data in POS..

what is the best solution to avoid corruption..

thanks...

Tables can only be corrupted when they are being written to. If your POS system has a flaky power source, or a bad LAN connection, or users who pull the plug on it, it can get corrupted if those events occur during a disk write.

You can switch to table buffering of your table, along with specific TABLEUPDATE() commands to localize the disk writing to specific points. If your app edits the data directly, each edit is a potential source of corruption.

Hope that helps!

-- Ed
-- Get great VFP support in a new forum filled with Microsoft MVPs!
--

Thanks Ed..
In every workstation I have AVR and UPS.. I used the INSERT INTO to save my data..

Remsor,

Forgive me if this is obvious, but the best way to avoid corruption is to find out why the corruption is happening in the first place.

Can you localise the cause of the corruption? Are there any common circumstances that apply? Can you say what the nature of the corruption is (bad DBF headers? corrupted index? )?

If you can get more information, it might make it easier to find a cure
Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

You say you have UPS on the workstations, but you don't meniton the file server. Even if you are using a peer-to-peer network, you should have a dedicated PC for the file server. Ed's comment on the network hardware needs to be emphasized. Have you tested the network connections, hubs, NIC, cables, shielding? Are you seeing any network errors or excessive retries? As in most "systems", it's only as strong as it's weakest part.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back