Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free php server? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinbadly

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
GB
Anyone know a free php server (php/mysql) where sites can be tried out, and perhaps live for a while, please?

1&1 (at least the .co.uk variant) has a 60 day money back guarantee. php and mysql is available on their Business package which is £9 per month.

Many thanks, bdichiara, but I have xampp - I'd feel naked without it and recommend it to all. But I was looking for a place where other people could see suggested looks to sites.

Many thanks, Justin. I've been looking at 1&1, and thinking they look like v good value. But for interesting someone in the look of a site, I hoped to find a server that does php and is in the spirit of the internet (free, gulp, in other words.) All the best
paul

I don't know what your setup is like, but just as a suggestion you could use a free DNS service to open up your computer to your clients/friends to look at your work. Apache is a web server afterall. Be aware of the security implications to this though.

Check out a service such as - There are others like it out there.

Or you could not be so cheap and shell out a couple of £ a month for some shared hosting space ;) ;)

Thanks, djb85, I hadn't thought of the shared space. That's an idea. I use a something like the dns service - logmein - for daily uploading via the remote studio. Cheers.

A site I use occasionally is 100webspace.com they support php as well as mySQL

I would suspect that most "FREE" web hosting packages, will not offer database support and/or will offer very little disk space, but I found a few by googling for "free hosting php mysql":
- (directory of free PHP and MySQL hosting)
- (200MB disk space)

I hoped to find a server that does php and is in the spirit of the internet (free, gulp, in other words.)
If you are making money from designing websites, then you should really expect to pay for your hosting. Free hosting should be reserved for volunteer web design/development work, not-for-profit organisations etc. The following is very limited free hosting for charity/not-for-profit organisations, but I'm not sure if it includes MySQL:
My recommendation would be to spend a small annual amount for a limited hosting account. In the past, I've spent 15 GBP to 20 GBP per annum on a basic hosting account with 34SP (
Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." (Paul Ehrlich)
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

Hello Stretchwickster
Thanks very much for all that info. Very good of you. To respond to your suggestion: Yes, I do do some for clients, but a large percentage is done in the spirit of the web and open source. If the cause is good, I am happy to help for the pleasure of it alone.

Which is why I was looking for a free server. Then I could say to, say, the Stretchwickster Home for Wayward Girls, for instance, 'Here's the way the site could be, here on a free server for you to look at, and think about for a few days.' Etc.

I run the website for a high school in a tough part of East London. The kids have a huge uphill battle if they are to survive in this biased land, so I try to make the site like a busy news place - the news is their's - with the 'front page' changing each weekday. I'm told the pupils are really proud of it. I do only for the pleasure of helping - there's no payment to me.

Many thanks for your help, Stretchwickster. Cheers
paul

Cheers, kpetursson, and thanks very much for that. I will have a look. Gratefully,
paul

Paul,

It's great to hear what you're doing and the reasoning behind your request - certainly a very valid reason for wanting a free web hosting package!

My only word of warning is that you can expect support (when you want your host to do anything, or when anything goes wrong with the server you are hosted on) to be pretty poor with free hosting for obvious reasons.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." (Paul Ehrlich)
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

Cheers, Clive. All noted ... and thanks for kind remarks. All the best
paul

I have found the support on byethost.com to be quite exceptional. They have a forum set up for the community, and a lot of the support is from fellow members, however the people running the servers tend to be very helpful and except for the recent transition to new servers, I have never experience any problems accessing the server. They also offer paid hosting (more storage and bandwidth) at very reasonable rates.

Good luck

Kevin Petursson

Hello Kevin

Many thanks for the recommendation. I've had a brief look and it does seem rather extraordinary. Hope to do something there in this coming week. Most grateful.

paul

I use freehostia, free, no ads, no spam, mysql, lots nice control panel.

Speeds isn't the best, but nice for non-prof stuf.

Many thanks, pietje63. I'll have a look. Cheers
paul

I recently found I currently have my domain redirected there so I have free hosting w/ php & mysql, no ads, and simple to use. No complaints yet :)

Sounds good, bam720. I'll go there to look. pieteje63's recommended freehostia looks quite excellent too. I must say I'm amazed that there are these good places on the net. Cheers

I just found out (through trial) that in order to use "mail()" under 110mb you have to go to their support website and submit proof of ID to have it unlocked. just a heads up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back