Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free ISP with FTP access from a different account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dak2k

MIS
Jan 4, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm looking for a free ISP to set up for a friend, but it needs to offer FTP access to the web space from a different ISP.

I will be building his website for him and want to be able to upload the site to his webspace using my cable modem, so it's faster and I don't have to use my phone line. Most of the free ISPs I've tried only allow your to ftp to the free webspace when you are dialed into their system.

Other things which would be good :
- no banners & no popups
- loads of web space (the site is going to be big!)
- sub domain web address
- fast connections
- and a partridge in a pear tree! :)

Not much to ask really...

I know I could set up an ISP for him and then set up a free webspace provider for web site, but I'm trying to keep things simple and consistant.

Thanks for your help!

Dak.

Boy, a couple years ago you might have been able to swing it, but the free-services model is sinking fast now. I'm not aware of any free webhosting that doesn't involve banners/popups. If it's got to be zero-cost, I doubt you're going to get any of those specs. If the specs are more important than the cost, I'd recommend Verio.
-Steve
By the way, how big is big? And how many hits/day do you expect?

Hi, thanks for your response!

There is a big list of free services listed at but I don't know how reliable these are. Some have no popups or banners.

It has to be a free site, so if it means I have to put up with a pop-up to get a reliable one, then so be it. The most important thing I need though is the FTP access from my Cable account as detailed above.

The size, again I could compromise on. My mate writes and performs folk music and is wanting to put MP3s of his songs on the site (another reason for the cable uploads!!), so the more space the better, but if I can only get a few on the so be it. (I could always link to another free space for the more files) As for hits/bandwidth, then I don't expect it to be overly popular! :)

A subdomain web address would be good as well, but I can always use to tidy it up. Actually, if you know of any other free url forwarding services, can you let me know! :)

Thanks again for your feedback.

Regards, Dak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back