Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free FTP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTSMAN

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
US
Is there a good and easy way for two people to share files without having to use a remote access software? They each setup a cheap free ftp that is password protected and post the files they want the other to download. I did a search for some of these but not sure if it is what I am looking for. Like "Home FTP Server" on this website,

Any better suggestions?

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

We need more information: Is this in a LAN or over the internet? How large are the files, what kind of security are they looking for etc...

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Across the internet, no encryption needed. Just simple sharing of music and video files. But a password at both ends so only authorized users can get in. I am rebuilding my daughters computer, and I don't want her reinstalling things like Limewire. I just want to set her and her friends up to share their stuff and not anyone else. The more simple the solution the better.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

In that case the FTP software would be a viable alternative.
You'll have to set up the FTP software in each machine, or set up a central machine so they can upload their files to it, to be shared with the other girls.

They can then use Internet Explorer to connect to the FTP site with the provided credentials fairly easily.

You will have to sit down with them and explain it to them, but its fairly straight forward.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Free FTP server software works great, have used it for a few years now.

You can also you something like Hotline Connect, its is really old software and the company doesnt even exist any more but the software is out there. It works awesome, you can set up passwords and it is very private. Since it isn't widely used a lot the "hackers" ignore it. I've been using it about 10 years now and it is really good software. You can find the software here you just have to set up the server software on both computers, download the client on both and connect. I think it is safer than FTP, easier to control, and much easier to work with. Good luck!

Cheers
Rob

If someone helps you, leave them a star. It is just a nice way to say "Thank you"

The answer is "PEBKAC!

I just started using Filezilla Server and so far I like it. I've been using their client for a long time. The server setup is easy and you can password protect it and filter ip addresses (and ranges)...and it's free.

J

Let's not forget of the Peer to Peer solution ... ;) just use a ptp client like Beamfile.... you recive a mail with info for the client you just download it on your computer , double click on it and voilla.... it starts the client and starts what ever your friend sents u... JUST REMEBER u 2 have to be online when this is happening... I mean its reltime file transfer... In order to have such a space in where to have files that only u 2 can have access thru FTP client, u have to have a FTP server.... That is oki if u have a friend (friends buisness , or a friends computer) u can ask if you can have such a space reserved on that particular PC. So, the answer is one of you can host the home directory and the interface (FTP server) that can grant you access .... You could try on an online free hosting account and on it to place saome php scripts that enable you to access what you have in the home directory in a more graphical user interface.... or try making a flash access panel using action scripts... in this way you don't need a ftp server and having (only u and your friend access to the contents) that means a password protocol made for 2 passwords. simple. Just remember... you can only use the amount of space that is offerd to u by the hosting website .

Hope this helps u :p

Have you tried dc++? No ads, straight up, non invasive software. You should be able to set up p2p there too by starting your own hub there or both parties enter the same one. Just make sure you set up password entry codes and Voila!! You can share what ever you wish with each other without interruptions.

Check it out if you havent heard about it yet. It's totally free:

I would recommend hamachi. It works great and gives you very easy encrypted secure lan over internet for direct peer to peer transfer. Run it on multiple computers and the shared drives or folders show up in your network neighborhood. I love it and use it to access files on my home server from work, jobsites, etc.

Google it and you'll find it. The guy that wrote it sold out to LogMeIn but I think he still works there.

DJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back