Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free fonts available to download 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyJeffy

Programmer
Sep 10, 2003
GB
I was recently looking for some "grunge-like" typefaces and came across this really handy resource. I didn't want to have to buy any fonts for such a minor personal project... and this site hit the nail on the head:

It's got a lot of fonts, complete with an image showing what the font looks like and a link to download them (for Mac and Windows) as a zipped file. There are no spammy popups and the fonts are generally pretty good (you usually get what you pay for with such sites).

As a free font resource, I thought some here would appreciate the heads-up.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Thanks. I downloaded a couple.

Ok, what's the catch? :)

I can't see any catch on that site. No registration... no attempt to load spyware etc. It certainly appears like a genuine offering. Anyway, glad others are able to benefit as well.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

There are actually many free font sites like this around. They all tend to carry the same fonts though.
This one seems rather good because, as you said, it doesn't fire off tons of popups etc.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

There are a lot of sites with free fonts. Unfortunately, most of the time I don't want them even for free. Anyway, I like this site:Very nice digbats.

hey,

how do you install a font, its something i've never done before in my life, lol.

-----
Best Regards
Rob Kelsey

Under Windows

download the font
put it in windows/fonts

Mac OSX
I think you dump it in your user/library/fonts folder. Though control+clicking hte file might give you an option to install it.

OS9
Upgrade ;-)
Seriously, put it in system/fonts

Now, those methods will mean that the font loads each time you start the system. Fine for most people, but if like me you have alot of fonts it can be a pain. In that case you may wish to use a font managment utility such as Extensis Suitcase to dynamically manage your fonts and turn them on/off at will.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

Thanks!

-----
Best Regards
Rob Kelsey

cheers man :)

-----
Best Regards
Rob Kelsey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor