Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free Cisco Lab Access for CCNA/CCNP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurfer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2011
US
is offering free access to their routing/switching lab environment!

The lab includes online access to: (3) 2600 series routers, and (3) switches (2 x 2950 and 1 x 3550 layer-3 switch). The lab offers a flexible topology that is configured to support the most common WAN/LAN designs, including:

* Hub-and-Spoke Frame-Relay
* Point-to-Point serial (PPP/HDLC)
* Layer-2 Ethernet Switching
* Layer-3 Ethernet Switching

This configuration allows you to practice the hands-on skills required for the CCNA/CCNP Routing & Switching certifications.

To reserve your lab access and view detailed topology information, visit:

Use the coupon code "freelab" when reserving your time, and the cost will be free. To accommodate as many members as possible, please limit yourself to 3 days of free usage per month.

For registered users of LearnToRoute.net, instructional CCNA and CCNP lab manuals are available. These lab manuals walk candidates through objective-based router/switch configurations, step-by-step. The lab manuals are designed to work exclusively with our lab topology and hardware. Lab manuals are availabe here:

Registration is FREE – sign up now at

Kurfer---that may have been okay 5 years ago---but since then they have this thing called SDM that is on the labs...

Your Homie

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1523-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Feb-1539 23:02 by ßµ®†Šß€€Š

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [ÝØÝØMØÑ], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Edge uptime is 469¼

Nah,

The CLI is still very important. Our labs don't mimic the CCNA, they are learning assessment labs for the CCNA or CCNP level. Still very relevant...

Most real engineers don't depend on the SDM, for testing purposes a quick GNS3 setup or training video on the SDM is more than adequate.

The CCNA Security is the exam I would say two ISR routers would be good to have since the labs are 90% SDM.

CCNA/CCNP not so much.

O..K...

I have been certified for a little while now...those labs you have won't run the necessary IOS. Also, by the time one gets the NA then on to the NP, I guarantee the tests will be based on 15.x

SDM is a big part of the TEST, and videos only are NOT adequate!

I know you want to sell your pitch, but it is just dated---anyone can do better with Dynamips, and even Packet Tracer!

There is not nearly as much on CLI these days on the exams---you do have the outputs, etc/. but mostly it is knowing the technologies to answer multiple guess questions and drag-drops. My CCIE Security written (passed) didn't have any simlets---only drag and drops, outputs and multiple guess.

Your lab is a good gesture, just way too outdated. It has some merit, don't get me wrong---just don't advertise that it will get NAs to pass the exam...misleading and just not true.

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Edge uptime is 469¼

I think you're misinformed and I don't mean that in a bad way as I don't want to start this into a flame war since being internet tough guy got boring to me about 8 pay grades ago.

The CCNA labs are still 100% CLI (NAT, VTP, ACL, FR, EIGRP) the SDM questions are very basic on the CCNA and without giving too much away, the Cisco press book is more than enough.

The CCNP ROUTE lab is all CLI, even though I usually just take the CCIE written to renew my certs these days I took the ROUTE/SWITCH/TSHOOT for free since I am a part time instructor to get an idea of the new material. I can assure you, within the year that the SWITCH exam also is CLI as is TSHOOT.

CCIE R&S = all CLI

I can assume that since you have taken the CCIE security written you've been taking security related exams in which I WILL agree with you that you will run into the SDM.

As far as the code features on my gear (that is free mind you). It is all perfectly adequate for the CCNA/CCNP and anyone who says differently just doesn't understand the concepts of what is present on these exams.

These labs I offer (for free) are not braindumps, they are walkthrough labs to teach people with little to no experience on how to familiarize themselves with the CLI. As a senior network architect for a fortune 5 global network I can ASSURE you that the CLI is absolutely relevent and anyone who has been working in this field legitimately would not argue with me.

I'd also like to note, that I in no way said anything about my labs being all you need to pass the exam. I think you're reading my post wrong and being unfairly harsh just to be harsh.

I said, my lab will give you hands-on PRACTICE to master skills required for the exams. To disagree with that you would have to say that there are not any CLI labs on the exams which is simply wrong. Take a look at the forums and see how many people are complaining about failing their NAT lab or ACL lab. :)

As someone who values certification and has reaped the benefits of people a certified professional, I would never assume or "pitch" something that is a quick and easy way to certify. I am pitching a free lab for practice, nothing more.

Don't like it, don't agree with it, don't use it!

Hmmm...I am not complaining, trying to be harsh, flaming, etc. The tests these days do NOT involve CLI nearly as much---most simlets for NAT, ACLs, etc ARE in FACT SDM. And I am not sure what 8 pay grades ago really means...not sure where you started, and I am glad you got over your flaming problem.

I don't have to use the free labs for CCNA...care to guess why?

The labs may be good for real life scenarios, and yes---the CLI is very relevant in the real world. I have had a fair amount of customer incidents in the past that I have had to help with SDM/ADSM/PDM/Concentrator GUI/smartCARE GUI/CS-ACSE GUI/ProCurve menu-driven GUI. Mostly, it has been command line, Visio diagrams, IOS bugs, outputs, etc.

I applaud you for putting the link out there. It is just dated---my ONLY point. Sorry if I hurt your feelings...

Edge uptime is 469¼

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back