Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free AV preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
OK, I know this gets asked lot, but versions change, etc. so it's worth revisiting one in a while.

Like others I've been having problems with AVG updates but also AVG just seems to be bloating and slowing. It especially seems to be slowing my e-mail downloads.

I'm rebuilding a 5 year old box with XP and my main concern is to keep overhead to a minimum. I'm behind a router and may put Comodo firewall on it. As far as AV goes, I'm thinking of trying Avira or Avast! over AVG. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

I traded in AVG for Avast! about 12-18 months ago.

Overall I've been happy with it.

I don't think the UI is as intuitive as AVG - that could be a concern depending who will be using the computer.

Then again, you can set it up for auto-updating and a scheduled scan and not look at it again for a long time.

It is loaded on my parents PC. The default behavior when it updates the virus database is for a deep voice to announce, "Virus Database has been updated". That kind of freaks out my mom. Luckily that can be turned off.

I'm also interested in following this thread, as it might be time to me to revisit AV as well.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

i also switched to Avast about 10 months ago on my laptop. it seems to handle hotel and customers wifi connectivity better than AVG did.

AVG has gotten to bloated and nagging for my liking, but i still use it on my kids and desktop machines.

I am using Avira, for the past 5+ years, never had any problems...

take a look at the AV Comparative webpage...

as the scanning engine of the Free and Premium are the same, only diffs are:

both have:

AntiVir protection against viruses, worms and Trojans
AntiDialer protection against expensive dialers
AntiRootkit protection against hidden rootkits
AntiPhishing protection against phishing

Premium extras:

AntiSpyware protection against spyware and adware
WebGuard protection against malicious websites
AntiDrive-by stops malware downloads while surfing
RescueSystem creates a bootable rescue CD
Enhanced email protection for POP3 and SMTP
Fast Premium update server

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

MasterRacker,

I would personally recommend Online Armor over Comodo Firewall, based on personal experience - protection level as well as performance.

It has a free version and paid version for a while. I've been using the free version on all 3 home computers, and advised a handful of others to use it. So far, I know of at least 2 instances on my personal computers that it has stopped threats, and at least 1 on another computer that I recommended it for.

As far as AV goes, I still use AVG. I've not noticed any ongoing problems - that's been on my 3 PCs, and easily 5 to 10 others for which I usually provide answers and/or maintenance.

The times I have noticed issues, I just reinstall with no more issues. That has been a little annoying - primarily just in the past 6 months to a year. But I personally think AVG is still a better balance on usability and protection - especially for the free version.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I also moved from AVG to Avast, and have been pleased with it. It takes care of itself, and does actually flag up the odd IE trojan attempt.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

I'm also an Avira user, after AVG 8.0 mistakenly called out my beloved ACDSee 3.1 (c.2001) as a virus and would not let me use the program. Too bossy!

Avira is a nag, though, with its daily popups to buy the full version. Combine the two (bossy + nag) and you get the perfect wife!

Tony

Users helping Users...

I too use Avira. Avg called one of the programs I use, magically jelly bean keyfinder, a trojan as well. Avast is ok, but from personal experience, I like Avira better than all the others.

The pop up on updating does not bother me that much. I just simply close it out.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I really like Avast and have used them all (well most). Avast stops them dead in their tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back