Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

freakin' tweakin' part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohhdamn

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
US
ok here it is ,
error messages when pc coms with modem,ati1 thru ati7 all say error as well as the last one at+fcia (should those i's be 1's?).
ping results,packet needs to be fragmented but df set<-huh?
576 4 sent 4 lost
500 4 sent 4 lost
400 time out
isp is earthlink you know &quot;THE REAL INTERNET&quot;?!
modem info,fcc id:HBQUMC92144
the biggest chip had VMC-VM92144CF
9447-AS
NA 1206
MODEL #1442PC-A
i have a login with driverguide.com and it indeed finds my modem but it just tosses me from one link to another ive never acually got to the part that says DOWNLOAD.i have an old logicode modem but it doesnt belong to me it looks easier to deal with i have a print out of dip positions and such if all else fails somebody may lose their modem!

Just use the reply under your last post, instead of starting a new thread please.

Anyhow...THAT is a really old 14.4 modem, which is why you get the timeouts...
Pull it, desolder the chips, and make jewelry X-)

Go get the correct driver for the HCF modem. If you're really not sure what to download, go get 2.1.2.135b from my modems page.
Put in the HCF Rockwell modem, BUT FIRST, boot to safe mode, remove all modems and com ports from device manager.
Shutdown, and pull the old modem (no wonder you can't surf any faster than 19,200 (with compression!))...
Restart, go into BIOS setup.
DISable com 2.
Set &quot;PnP OS Installed&quot; to NO.
Set &quot;Reset configuration data&quot; to YES.
Shutdown, and put the new modem in.
Restart, reinstall. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

The new modem is a logicode 2814HV 28.8,its installed as you can see,and workin pretty good but I still lost 4 out of 4 packets or either time out on every value I ping with, and Ive heard its not cool to ruthlessly ping your ip.But with my overall performance increase since noon today I will at least go to sleep tonight!Thanks for all the help anymore anybody else may have.

One other thing to do with any WinModems is to go into the INF folder and delete anything referring to those old modems before you install a new one. The INF folder is nested inside C:\Windows folder. This usually solves a lot of modem install problems (something I learned the hard way several times!). Hope this helps.

Knack

Ive got quite a few INF files none particularly scream OLD MODEM anything I need to look for?Ohh yea I seem to remember somebody saying when I tweaked my modem and myself in to submission that all the evil genius' on this site would fine tune my modem what do you need to know should I run the details option in MODEMS and give you those numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back